Top 5 Chrome Password Generator
The Chrome password generator is a built-in feature in the Chrome browser's password manager utility that helps keep you secure by generating strong passwords when you sign into a website for the first time. With the ‘suggest password' Chrome function, the selected password is then saved to the password manager, which will appear as a prompt to auto-fill the password field the next time you visit that login page. The problem is that it has limited functionality, and if you suddenly switch operating systems, it might not work as you want it to. For that reason, we've scoured through the dozens of Chrome extensions to bring you the top 5 Chrome password generator alternatives to the native application.
Note: If you're using any of the below utilities, we recommend that you disable the Chrome password generator so the two tools don't clash.
5 Best Chrome Password Generator Alternatives
1Password Password Manager Chrome Extension
The first product being showcased is 1Password, a cross-platform password manager that comes paired with a Google Chrome extension that you can add and enable from the Chrome Web Store. The password manager itself is available as a desktop or mobile app that you can install on your respective devices. It helps manage all those strong passwords generated by the built-in tool for password generation. The extension for the Chrome browser is integrated with this utility and steps in whenever you attempt to log into a site, either for the first time or one that you regularly use.
- Generate and save strong passwords for all your accounts
- Auto-fill forms and password fields - but only when you choose to allow it
- Store unlimited passwords across unlimited devices no matter what brand or operating system
- Even store your precious private files and media so no one else can access them
- High-grade security with protection against brute force and GPU attacks
- Remember just one Master Password - and that's it!
- Convenient to set up and start using
- Import directly from Chrome Password Manager
- Create random but pronounceable and rememberable (memorable) passwords that are strong but uncrackable
- Affordable pricing
- Option to get 1PasswordX, a standalone Chrome password generator and password manager
- The desktop application will identify weak passwords in your portfolio and activate the password generator to help secure those accounts
- Free plan not available (30-day free trial for all types of accounts)
- Personal plan storage limited to 1GB
2. GenPass: Strong Password Generator
GenPass is an open-source Chrome extension for generating strong random passwords right from your Chrome browser during sign-up sessions. The idea behind GenPass is to give users a tool that will break the worst security habit of all - the practice of using the same passwords or similar variations over and over again, thereby compromising the security of all your online accounts in the event one of them get breached.
- Two types of passwords can be generated - consistent and random
- Access it through the extension icon to the right of the browser's address bar
- Also available for Mozilla Firefox
- Free to use
- Two password types
- Open-source is not always trusted by users
- Infrequent updates
3. Strong Password Generator
This Chrome extension has a high rating on the Chrome Web Store and offers more flexibility than GenPass. Some of the features, pros, and cons are mentioned below.
- Specify length and characters to be used in the new password
- Generate one or more passwords and copy them to a clipboard
- Custom settings are recorded when you close the tab
- Password length up to 128 characters
- No active updates since 2012
- No customer support if something goes wrong
4. Ultra Password Generator for Chrome
Very similar to the previous extension with a few minor UI differences. The UI is actually more appealing and slicker. The major difference is that it works on offline and online modes.
- Online and Offline modes available
- Creates strong and random passwords
- Option to view generated password history
- Use in offline mode when there's no Internet connection
- Can't generate memorable passwords
- No updates since 2015
5. Password Generator by Agiliq
Yet another Chrome password generator extension is Agiliq's Password Generator. It is also available for Android devices and has a unique feature that generates passwords based on the domain you're accessing.
- Domain-specific pseudo-random passwords
- SHA2 cryptographic algorithm
- Builds on the master password to generate strong and site-specific passwords
- Simple to use
- Requires master password, which makes it stronger
- No password management features
- Last updated in 2013
Buy PDFelement right now!
Buy PDFelement right now!
- Top 5 Software for Password Storage
- Top 5 Password Safe Mac Alternatives
- Top 5 KeePassX Alternatives
- How to Use Password Safe Android and iOS App
- Everything about 1Password Android