How to Back up iPhone and iPad on macOS 10.15
Mac OS Catalina users will be getting their doses of entertainment through three new apps, Music, Apple Podcasts, and Apple TV, rather than through the perennial iTunes. However, this doesn’t mean you can’t back up the iPhone without iTunes on Mac OS Catalina. There are no secrets or complexities about how iphone and ipad syncing will work in macos Catalina. It involves using the Finder.
How to Sync your iPhone and iPad with Mac on macOS 10.15
After the release of Mac OS 10.15, questions like how can I backup my iPad to my mac on 10.15,” and “how can I backup up my iPhone onto my mac on 10.15” have dominated discussions in Mac users forums. Here’s a simple answer:
1. Plug your iPhone or iPad into your Mac using a Lighting cable.
2. Launch a window in the Finder or simply press ‘Command + N’.
3. Navigate to the Location section on the left side of the Finder window, and click on your iOS device. This brings up information about your device on the right side of the window.
4. Tap the General button at the top of the window bearing information about your device.
5. Navigate to the “Backups” section, and select from any of the backup options. You can choose to back up only “your most important data”, if you don’t want to backup all your data on your iOS device. You can also encrypt the backups by simply checking the “Encrypt local backup” box and choosing a password.
6. After you’ve selected your desired backup options, hit the ‘Back Up Now’ button.
Note that every time you carry out this backup operation, you use up more store storage space. And since your storage space is limited, you’ll not be able to back up your iOS files if you run out of storage space.
But you can delete backups you no longer want to create space for new backups. Here’s how:
1. With your iOS device connected to your Mac through a lighting cable, launch a window in the Finder or press ‘Command + N’.
2. Select your device in the Location section in the left corner of the Finder window. Your device info will pop up afterward.
3. Around the top of the window displaying information about your device, you’ll find a ‘General’ button. Click on it.
4. Navigate to the ‘Backups’ section, and then click on the ‘Manage Backups’ button.
5. Next, you’ll find a list of items labeled “Device backups” along with the name of your iOS device and the date the backup was done. Select the items you no longer need, and then click ‘Delete backup’ to delete them.
Now, if you want to restore your iOS device files that were backed up on Mac OS Catalina,
1. With your device plugged into your Mac via a lighting cord, open the Finder window.
2. Click on your device under the ‘Devices’ section on the left side of your screen.
3. On the right side of the window that pops up next, select the ‘General’ tab.
4. Next, navigate to the Backup and Restore section, and then select ‘Restore Backup’.
Learn more about PDFelement for Mac >>
Best PDF Editor Available for Desktop - PDFelement
|Product Features||PDFelement for iOS||PDFelement for Mac|
|View PDF Files|
|Edit PDF Files|
|Annotations and Comments|
|Create PDF Files|
|Add Watermarks, Backgrounds, Headers and Footers|
|Access to Hundreds of PDF Templates|
Buy PDFelement right now!
Buy PDFelement right now!
- How to Type a Hashtag on macOS 10.15
- How to Find Any Password on a Mac
- How to Move Your Photos Library to an External Drive on macOS 10.15