Top 5 Kofax Power PDF macOS Alternative
Kofax Power PDF (Mac OS 10.15 Catalina compatible) is a powerful PDF editor with support for macOS versions starting with macOS 10.12 Sierra, the thirteenth (and luckiest?) iteration of the Unix-like operating systems from Apple. Those who've used it for a while probably know it by Nuance, its earlier avatar. Although Kofax offers all the same features under new branding, it also means that its features are equally limited. Let's take a quick look at some of these limitations before we dive into the Top 5 Kofax PDF Editor (Standard for Mac) alternatives including PDFelement with greater firepower and versatility.
Limitations of Kofax Power PDF for Mac
- First of all, the software itself is only available in the Standard flavor for macOS 10.15 Catalina, which is a drawback when compared to the Standard and Pro versions for Windows.
- Key features are limited to PDF and form creation, collaboration, and conversion to and from other formats.
- With a price tag of $129, it could be prohibitively expensive for someone who expects more robust functionality.
- Users have reported that the interface is far from intuitive, with many features being unintentionally 'hidden' behind other features available in the menu options, making it confusing for first-timers.
With these and other limitations, even as an existing Kofax PDF user, you might be looking for more reasonable alternatives that offer a wider range of features and capabilities. Here are the Top 5 alternatives to Kofax's product in terms of greater functionality, better pricing, more convenience, enhanced ease-of-use, higher speed, and other important factors.
5 Kofax Power PDF macOS Catalina Alternatives
Available in Standard and Pro versions for macOS 10.15 Catalina, PDFelement is one of the fastest-growing PDF applications on the market today. Offering a comprehensive suite of tools for editing, conversion, form-creation, OCR, data extraction, security, annotations, and more, PDFelement is the rising star of this category, arguably second only to the ubiquitous Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.
- Full range of editing, annotation, page management, forms, conversion, and security features available in the premium versions; powerful PDF reading, creating, editing, form-creation, and form-filling tools are available in the free trial versions.
- Accurate and speedy conversions between PDF and a variety of file formats (for converting to and from the .pdf format.)
- Fully loaded annotation capabilities, including freehand, stamps, shapes, vectors, strikethroughs, sticky notes, and plain text commenting.
- Upgrade to Pro and get batch processing for conversions and OCR, the ability to add e-signatures, archive files, apply Bates numbering, and best-in-class OCR technology for converting any scanned document into a fully interactive (editable and searchable) digital PDF form.
- Too comprehensive for basic print-to-PDF needs
- Free Unlimited Trial version available
- Price starts from $69
System Support: macOS 10.10 and higher including Catalina | Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista
2. Soda PDF Online
If you're looking for something that you can use over the Internet like a cloud or web-based application, Soda PDF Online is your final stop. It is one of the best Kofax Power PDF for Mac alternative. It boasts a wide range of PDF capabilities, all of which are done online. Obviously, you'll need a high-speed Internet connection for the best results, but since most companies need to be online for their business activities, we've included it in this list.
- Completely online, and compatible with cloud storage services. You can work on the go no matter where you are. As long as you have a live and fast Internet connection that is also stable, you can process reasonably heavy workloads with a premium account for Soda PDF Online on your Mac computers.
- An impressive collection of features that include creation from several file formats, conversion to other file types, editing, reviewing, backgrounds, Bates numbering, headers/footer addition and editing, form-handling, security features, e-signing, and OCR.
- The layout is clean, with all major functions available as tabs at the top of the active browser screen. Inside each section, you'll see various tools corresponding to that particular function.
- The paid version requires you to buy Soda PDF Anywhere Premium, which is a Windows-only application.
- No standalone installable version for Mac.
- Free to Use, but with limited functionality
- Upgrade requires the purchase of the Premium Windows version
- Premium version is priced at $84 per annum (discounts may be available on the site.
System Support: Works with most browsers in the latest operating systems from Apple, Microsoft, and Linux.
PDFPenPro for Mac from Smile Software is another robust Kofax Power PDF on Mac alternative that makes a great alternative to Kofax Power PDF. The Pro version obviously has greater capabilities than the standard PDFPen for Mac, but both versions are solid products with remarkable capabilities.
- PDFPenPro offers full editing capabilities that include adding, changing, editing images, etc.
- It boasts a unique feature to record your verbal notations as audio.
- Single and batch OCR includes features such as editable PDF output, direct capture from scanning hardware, and control over various aspects of the source image, including contrast and resolution enhancement.
- The menus are intuitive, and the content-specific popup tools deliver a great user experience overall.
- The latest version 11 brings Continuity camera capture from iOS devices, split-view editing mode, grouping frequently used elements, manual deskewing of OCR documents, better sidebar layout, and a new Font Bar for greater control over fonts when editing on the fly.
- Continuity with iPhone and iPad apps.
- Limited output formats for conversion in the Standard version, which makes Pro the only choice.
- Some known font-matching issues may arise when editing text.
- PDFPen for Mac - $74.95
- PDFPenPro for Mac - $124.95
- Upgrade (Standard to Standard 11 and Pro to Pro 11) - $30
- Upgrade (Standard to Pro 11) - $50
System Support: macOS 10.12 Sierra and higher
4. PDFSam for Mac
PDFSam is essentially an open-source utility that can be used as a command-line tool but also offers interfaces for macOS, Windows, Linux, and other platforms. This Kofax Power PDF for Mac alternative is free to use, but most of the features are packed into the premium GUI versions called PDFSam Enhanced. Unfortunately, the Mac version is the free one and there's no option to upgrade to Enhanced. Nevertheless, it is an ideal tool for PDF file and page management.
- Excellent and affordable tool for PDF management, and includes the ability to merge, rotate, split and extract content from PDF files.
- Multiple splitting options: split at bookmarks, split to equal sizes, split at page numbers.
- Extract PDF pages from a master document.
- Multiple merge options: Merge subsections from different PDFs, merge entire documents.
- Merge two documents by alternating the pages in reverse or natural order.
- No editing or annotation tools.
- No option to upgrade to Enhanced (for Mac users.)
- Open-source (free to use in perpetuity)
System Support: macOS, Windows, and Linux
5. PDF Expert
Published by Readdle, PDF Expert is an ideal PDF reader and basic editor for macOS, iOS, and iPadOS. The appealing reader experience is delivered by three modes: Night, Day, and Sepia. It's easy on the eyes and easy to navigate. It is also one of the best replacement for Kofax Power PDF for macOS Catalina.
- Superior reading experience for all PDF documents.
- For large PDFs, the search function and indexing of search results make it faster to work on the more you use it.
- Ideal for annotating and note-taking; support for Apple Pencil on iPad Pro; Touch Bar support for MacBook Pro models.
- Includes editing features for links, images, and text.
- Form-filling capabilities.
- Page management tools like merging, split view, and page numbering available.
- Great for collaboration and sharing (includes iOS and iPadOS cross-functionality.)
- No OCR or conversion features
- Lacks advanced editing tools
- $94.39 for up to 3 Mac computers
System Support: macOS 10.12 and higher
Comparison of the Top 5 Kofax Power PDF Editor for Mac Alternatives
That's the round-up of the key features in each of the five Kofax Power PDF alternatives. Now, let's take a quick look at how they stack up against each other in critical areas.
|Ease of Use||High||High||Medium||Medium||High|
|Operational Speed||High||Depends on Connection Speed||Medium||Medium||Medium|
|Batch Process||Yes, comprehensive||No||Yes, for OCR||No||No|
- Top 10 Nitro PDF for macOS 10.15 Alternatives
- Top 5 PDF Expert for macOS 10.15 Alternative
- 5 PDF XChange Viewer for Mac 10.15 Alternative