How to Turn Off Hyphenation in InDesign
For some people InDesign hyphenation is a problem they try to get out of the way. But the advice "simply remove them" doesn't work for most students of InDesign who are yet to learn the intricacies of this highly qualified program. Yet, sometimes you don't really need hyphens, in fact in most designs hyphens just seem to distract from the overall design.
In this article, we take a look at how you can easily turn off hyphenation in InDesign when you don't need it. This way you can only use hyphens when it is necessary. We are also going to share with an alternative way to edit InDesign hyphenation even if you don't have InDesign.
How to Turn off Hyphenation in InDesign
Turning off hyphenation in InDesign is a fairly simple process. The following simple steps will show you how:
- Step 1: Launch InDesign on your computer and either open an InDesign project you are working on or create a new document.
- Step 2: Place your cursor in a heading paragraph. It helps if you are using a paragraph style such as "Heading 1".
- Step 3: Click on "Type > Paragraph Styles" to open the Paragraph Styles Panel.
- Step 4: Right-click (or Control-click on Mac) on the heading style you are using in the Paragraph Styles panel and then choose "Edit Heading 1".
- Step 5: in the left panel, select Hyphenation.
- Step 6: Now, simply uncheck the box marked "Hyphenate" and click "OK" to complete the process.
Edit InDesign Hyphenation with PDFelement
InDesign is without a doubt one of the best document layout design tools in the business. But as the tutorial above demonstrates, it can be a little difficult to figure out how to use it for the simplest tasks. InDesign can also be a bit expensive and it is therefore not uncommon for someone to share with you an InDesign file that you are unable to edit since you don't have the program.
Fortunately, there is another document management tool that is far easier and more accessible than InDesign and also very effective in helping you edit InDesign files. This program is Wondershare PDFelement - PDF Editor, one of the most effective PDF management tool with features designed to make it easier to create, edit and access documents.
- It is useful in creating PDF documents and then converting these PDF documents to other formats including Word, Excel, HTML and many more.
- It can also come in handy when you want to edit scanned PDF documents since it has an OCR feature used to transform scanned PDFs to editable formats.
- It is also a very powerful way to annotate your PDF document. You can use it add comments, notes, stamps or even highlight and underline text on the PDF document.
- It can be used to create fillable PDF forms and also fill-in the forms.
- It has security features such as password-protection and signature features aimed at keeping sensitive document from prying eyes.
PDFelement is also very easy to use. The following is a simple tutorial to help you edit the InDesign PDF.
Step 1: Open the InDesign PDF
To open the InDesign PDF documents you want to edit, you can either choose to click on "Open File" to browse for the file on your computer or you can simply drag and drop the InDesign file to the program's main window to open it.
Step 2: Edit PDF Text
To make changes to the text on the PDF document, click on "Edit" and then depending on the size of text you want to edit, choose "Line mode" or "Paragraph mode." Line mode is used to edit a single line of text as a separate block while paragraph mode allows you to edit the whole text.
Now, highlight the text you want to edit on the document. This will open a properties box on the left that you can use to change the font color, font style and font size it any other aspect you wish to change.
If you want to add text to the document, click "Edit > Add text" and then click on any area in the document to type in the text.
Step 3: Annotate the PDF
There are several ways you can annotate a document. To access this feature, click on "Comment" in the main menu and then select the type of comment you want to add from the options available namely; Notes, Typewriter, Text Box or Area highlight.
If you want to add a stamp, click on "Comment > Stamps" and select the layout you want to use. Click on the position within the document you want the stamp to appear. You can also add a custom stamp by clicking on "Comment > Create Stamp > Custom Stamp and select the picture button to upload the photo you want to use as your stamp.
Buy PDFelement right now!
Buy PDFelement right now!
- How to Add Pages and Delete Pages in InDesign
- 2 Methods to Convert INDD to PDF
- Top 5 Alternatives To InDesgin App for iPad and iPhone 13
- Two Methods to Convert PDF to InDesign on Mac
- How to Add and Edit InDesign Hyperlinks - 2023