The 10 Best PDF eBook Readers in 2023
EBooks have become more and more popular due to their convenience and portability. However, finding the best PDF eBook reader for your needs can be very difficult, especially when you don't know very much about the format and system compatibility. This outlines the 6 best PDF eBook readers on the market that are worth checking out.
If you want to save your time, just download and try one of the best PDF readers - Wondershare PDF Reader, which allow you to read, annotate and sign PDF for free. You can take notes and write comments in reading with ease.
- Part 1: Best Free Ebook Reader for PC & Mac
- # 1: Wondershare PDF Reader
- # 2: Wondershare PDFelement
- # 3: Aldiko Book Reader
- # 4: iBooks
- # 5: Kindle
- Part 2: Best Free Ebook Reader Online Free
- # 1: Project Gutenberg
- # 2: Glose
- # 3: manybooks.net
- Part 3: Best Free Ebook Reader App
- # 1: Google Play Books - Free Ebook Reader App for Android
- # 2: Apple Books - Free Ebook Reader App for iPhone/iPad
- # 3: Kobo Books
- Part 4. FAQs About PDF eBook Readers
Part 1: Best Free Ebook Reader for PC & Mac
1. Wondershare PDF Reader
If you have no plan to buy a paid PDF eBook reader, Wondershare PDF Reader should be your first choice. Since all of the performance and technology of it was adopted from the PDFelement, by a team that has a background developing PDF software for 12 years.
This is a free, lightweight and powerful PDF reader. When reading PDF files with Wondershare PDF Reader, you add comments to the document, highlight the important part, add your signature and more. You can also create PDF from Word, Excel, TXT, PPT, images right in the PDF reader.
- Include all basic features (view, annotate and sign)
- Support 3D view reading and multiple view modes
- Create PDF with four solutions
- Capture screenshots to help your productivity
- It's totally free
- Can't edit PDFs
- Only available for Windows users
2. Wondershare PDFelement
If you are looking for a full-featured PDF solution, Wondershare PDFelement is the right choice for you. This eBook and PDF reader is a user-friendly and feature-enriched program that enables users to read and annotate ebooks. You can highlight, underline, strike out text while you are reading. You can also add comments or notes.
PDFelement comes with a variety of viewing modes and options to zoom in and out when reading eBooks. You can also read PDF in the Eye Protection mode, Light mode, Dark mode, and Parchment mode.
The translation tool of PDFelement comes in handy when you are reading to learn a new language. Just select the text to get the translated result of the target language that you have chosen. More than 100 languages are supported.
PDFelement offers "Read Mode", which allows you to read the ebook in full screen with annotation tools to mark up the important content while reading without interruption.
This PDF reader & editor also lets you create and edit PDF documents. You can also sign PDF documents with personalized signatures and convert ebooks from PDFs to other formats.
- Convert PDF to EPUB, Word, Excel, HTML, Image, etc.
- Adjust the font, change images, reorganize pages, and update watermarks
- Optimize PDF files for easy reading
- Merge multiple files into a single PDF
- Add passwords and permissions to secure documents
- Use the OCR feature to work with scanned PDFs and image-based PDFs in multiple different languages
- Too bulky for those who just a simple PDF viewer
Review for Wondershare PDFelement
3. Aldiko Book Reader
This is a PDF eBook reader that allows android users to download and read thousands of books on their mobile device. Users can browser extensive catalogs of eBooks from anywhere and at any time. Most eBooks on this program are free and can be downloaded from within the app. Aldiko Book reader guarantees a comfortable and customized reading experience when it comes to font, background color, and margin.
- Enables users to download and read books on their mobile devices
- Thousands of books can be downloaded from different sources, and many of them are free
- Reduces cost and paper usage
- It cannot open some eBooks, especially ones that are not free. It supports EPUB, PDF, and Adobe DRM only
Review for Aldiko Book Reader
This is Apple’s default eBook reader for macOS X. It is also available for the iPad and iPhone. This PDF eBook reader is free and user-friendly. Users can buy the books directly from within the application. Its interface is a modern bookshelf where your books are neatly arranged. In the page layout, the users can control how bright or dim the page is, as well as the font size of their choice. The user can also choose the theme and reading mode. It gives the option of night mode, which lets you view the page as black with white text for easier reading.
Page flipping is also done by swiping your finger, which simulates an actual book. Bookmarks are also available to mark the page you left off on. When you close the book and reopen it, it will automatically open to the bookmarked page.
- User-friendly interface
- Allows buying of books directly within the app
- It is the Apple default, but may not be compatible with other operating systems
Kindle PDF eBook reader enables the users to open and read a range of different file formats from windows and other operating systems. The interface is visually appealing and easily presents books that you can open and store in the cloud or on your device. With a simple click, you can return to the last page you viewed, and there is less distraction caused by the icons to flip pages. Users are also able to bookmark their current spot and return to the library.
- Excellent interface
- Bookmarks available
- Easy to read books stored in the cloud or the device
- To use a Kindle you need to be an Amazon customer
- Accessing books that are not bought via Kindle requires a workaround
Part 2: Best Free Ebook Reader Online Free
Project Gutenberg is another online free eBook reader. In fact, it was one of the first providers of electronic free books. It had been launched in 1971 by Michael Hart when internet usage wasn't even so popular.
On the site, you will find over 54,000 free eBooks. You can either read them online or download them. The reader allows you to download the eBook in different formats, including Kindle, ePub, PDF, and HTML.
You can use the search bar to look for the book that you want to read. But whether it is available for view or download or both depends on the book you are choosing.
In Project Gutenberg, you will find a list of categories and pages on certain topics. It is nothing short of impressive.
- Gives the option to download or read online.
- Downloads are available in different formats.
- There are more than 54,000 free eBooks available.
- You might not find a few books.
Review for Project Gutenberg
Glose has improved the reading experience for bookworms. On this platform, not only can you read more books but also meet great people. With these people, you can engage in some meaningful conversation and grow your knowledge.
Glose offers 1million eBooks for free. So, you are bound to find the book that you would like to read. The platform also has a reward program. Invite friends to the platform, share your notes, and take on some reading challenges to unlock awards and rewards. It has made the reading experience more tasteful.
The eBook reader also has a night mode that makes it easier for the readers to curl up in bed and read their favorite book before bedtime. But it doesn't offer an unlimited subscription like many other platforms.
- More than 1million books to select from.
- The reward program offers rewards to readers.
- Its night mode makes it easier to read books at night.
- Doesn't offer an unlimited subscription.
Review for Glose
manybooks.net lets you browse through some of the most popular titles. On this platform, you will find some of the most popular titles to read. However, that is not all; the eBook reader provides reviews and recommendations from visitors. You can browse the titles by genre, name, language, or author.
But the best thing about the eBook reader is that you will be able to read the available books for free. There are over 50,000 free eBooks waiting for you to be discovered and read.
The app is available on App Store and Google Play Store for iOS and Android smartphone and tablet users, respectively. You will find a dozen download formats to choose from. So, you can select the one that is compatible with your PC or smartphone.
Browse through the newly launched titles. You can browse the book covers to find out if something attracts your attention. If you are not sure what to read, you can always take advantage of the public domain books with the editors. You never know, you might come across some real gems.
- More than 50,000 different books to choose from.
- Has an app for Android and iOS users.
- Easy to browse through the collection.
- Some PF the most popular books might be missing from the collection.
Review for manybooks.net
Part 3: Best Free Ebook Reader App
Now, let's take a look at some of the eBook reader apps that you can download on your smartphone or tablet.
1. Google Play Books: Free eBook Reader App for Android
Do you use an Android smartphone or tablet? Google Play Books can be the perfect book reading companion for you. It is an official Google reader. The app can be used for buying eBooks and audiobooks from Google Play. You have the option to choose from a plethora of best-selling comics, eBooks, audiobooks, and textbooks. The official Google software lets you buy eBooks without any subscription.
The eBook reader comes with features that let you change the color and text attributes. In fact, through the reader, you can view the original pages of the books and also add a bookmark. There is a dark mode that makes it easier for you to read the books at night.
If you don't understand a particular word in the book, you can take advantage of the offline dictionary. You can either use the touchscreen or the volume key for turning the pages of the books.
One of the best features of Google Play Books is it lets you preview the samples of millions of books. You can also take notes with Google Drive and there share them with other people.
Review for Google Play Books App
2. Apple Books: Free eBook Reader App for iPhone/iPad
Apple Books have been designed for iOS devices. It is the built-in reader for audiobooks and eBooks that you can download from the bookstore of Apple. It lets you listen to, read, and discover books in one place. You can browse the Book Store to find the perfect book you would like to read.
Track what you have read and what you would like to read through this eBook reader. It lets you set your own reading goals.
One of the striking features of Apple Books is the Reading Now tab, which makes it more convenient to get to the right page instantly. It is the space where you are going to find personalized book recommendations depending on what you are reading.
In the app, you can organize the book library just the way you prefer. So, every book is just where you want it. It lets you create your own collection of books. In case you are working and can't browse through the pages to read, you can listen to the stories. With this, you can simply transport yourself to some other world.
Apple Book lets you set a goal that makes reading a priority. It lets you track the amount of time you are spending reading or listening to audiobooks.
Review for Apple Books App
3. Kobo Books
If you want an app that will let you let you connect with your social circle and get some suggestions and recommendations, Kobo Books is definitely an application to watch out for. Kobo has its own online store where you will find millions of books to choose from. You can get some for free, while others have to be bought. The app lets you customize the reading options. All you have to do is click on the Menu.
Kobo has a night and day mode. So, you can switch the mode as per your preference. It allows you to adjust the font size. Another interesting feature of the app is the bookshelf. In this, the app will store the last read book in a different column to make it a little easier to access.
Kobo supports a wide range of file types, including PDF, CBR, and CBZ. It lets your friends on social networking platforms like and comments on what you are reading. The app is available for both Android and iOS users.
So, what are you waiting for? Choose your favorite eBook reader and start reading the books you want. The above free online eBook readers and apps will make it an enriching reading experience for you. With them, you can explore books and comics from different genres.
All of these PDF eBook reader apps are good tools that are well designed for reading eBooks. A lot of people use the eBook and PDF reader that automatically came with their mobile device, but for those who want to do their own research and find a better tool out there, these PDF book reader options are worth checking out if you want to try and find the best reader for PDF!
Part 4. FAQs About PDF eBook Readers
Q1. What Is the Best PDF eBook Reader?
The best PDF eBook reader is Wondershare PDF Reader. It is a free, lightweight, and powerful PDF ebook reader that offers excellent performance and technology derived from PDFelement. With Wondershare PDF Reader, you can not only read PDF files but also enhance your reading experience by adding comments, highlighting important sections, adding your signature, and more.
Q2. How Do I Open a PDF as an eBook?
To open and read a PDF as an eBook, you can utilize Wondershare PDFelement. Follow these simple steps:
- Open PDFelement and drag-and-drop the PDF file you want to read.
- Go to the "View" tab and select "Read Mode." This will enable the eBook-like reading experience, allowing you to view the PDF in a format suitable for reading.
Q3. How Do I Read a PDF Like a Book on My Computer?
To read a PDF like a book on your computer, you can utilize PDFelement. Follow these simple steps:
- Open PDFelement and drag-and-drop the PDF file you want to read.
- Go to the "View" tab and click the "Page View" button. Then select the "Two Page View" option to display two pages side by side. Additionally, select "Read Mode" for an immersive reading experience. You can enjoy a book-like reading experience on your computer.
Buy PDFelement right now!
Buy PDFelement right now!
- The Top 6 Free Scan to PDF Software 2023
- 8 Best Free PDF Filler for Windows/Mac/Online in 2023
- 4 Best PDF Viewer for Windows 11
- The Top 7 Free PDF Writer in 2023
- Top 8 Free Redaction Software to Protect Sensitive Info