Top 10 Free EPUB Readers for macOS 10.14
EPUB (electronic publication) is a widely used file format with a highly versatile design. It runs on numerous Mac OS, and comes with a highly responsive, self-adjusting layout that makes any EPUB file optimized for display on devices with varying screen sizes. However, things can still go wrong with the reader experience if the EPUB reader for macOS 10.14 is deficient or defective. This article gives a rundown of 10 best free EPUB software for macOS 10.14. They're outlined in no particular order, as they can all equally compete for the top spot.
10 Free EPUB Readers for macOS 10.14
Calibre is an e-book viewer that intensifies reader immersion by supporting a host of customization functions including a full-screen mode which curtails distractions; font-size adjustments options for open pages; bookmarking; and pagination method options. It also furnishes users with an e-library as well as a highly versatile file converter to ease file management.
- A great app for managing ebooks
- Extensive file support for almost every type of file format
- Does not read copyrighted works that are DRM-protected
- Lacks highlighting and annotation tools for penetrating perusal
- Inclination towards book cataloguing comes at the expense of book creation functions
This is an eBook reader based on Adobe Flash. It is another versatile eBook reader used for managing and viewing digital publications. It is unarguably one of the best EPUB software for macos 10.14 because it supports a wide range of file formats, including all the various types of EPUB files.
- A simple ebook management system that allows users to easily sort and filter ebook items
- Interactive features such as bookmarking
- Fluent page turning motion
- Poor visibility due to black on black layout
- An unsupported app
With an easily adjustable layout and support for nearly every file format including EPUB, DOC, RTF, MOBI, TXT, etc, BookReader comes in as another highly versatile Mac OS 10.14 epub reader. Its library management functionalities include sorting and searching options for managing files on the bases of genres, titles, tags, authors, and lots more.
- An impressive array of file management functionalities
- eBook customization features like highlighting and bookmarking
- Lacks filesharing functionalities
This is another widely used EPUB reader free macos 10.14 that infuses cross-platform compatibility with highly responsive layout to make for seamless ePUB file management. It provides users access to popular online library facilities, and also supports a myriad of file formats including EPUB, MOBI, RTF, Word, and lots more.
- Support a wide range of file formats and incorporates several popular libraries to give users access to extensive collections of digital publications
- Numerous ebook customization options including bookmarking, choice of colors, page turning effects, etc
- The bells and whistles of the ebook customization features may cause distractions
This free EPUB software for macOS 10.14 facilitates access to millions of titles including epic publications and crash hot new releases on numerous popular libraries including the NOOK Book library. It comes with a host of library management tools including shelve features and sorting options like title, custom tags and more. The library management system also features a sync functionality that transmits bookmarks and notes to other devices.
- Supports numerous OS including macOS, Windows and Android
- Annotation, highlighting and bookmarking functionalities
- Exclusive LendMe file sharing technology
- Reads Adobe DRM files
- File importation function processes only one file per time
As a Chrome extension, Readium reader is an epub reader os10.14 that does not require the energy and space required to run a typical eBook reader software on a device. It was designed by an open source developer community to serve as a reliable web-based EPUB reader app. Designed with simplicity of use as a cardinal objective, the Readium sports a plain, simplistic interface. But it does perform as a reliable EPUB reader that’s free for macos 10.14 users.
- Cross-platform compatibility
- Does not necessitate software installation on the device
- Supports numerous file formats, including the various types of EPUB
- Has no delete file option
- Runs only on Chrome Browse
This free EPUB software for macos 10.14 also reads files of a range of widely used formats including Mobipocket, RTF, HTML, PalmDoc, PDF and more, allowing users to view a vast array of digital publications. The app's text layout is highly flexible, and comes with a range of layout viewing options including multicolumn, vertical scrolling, horizontal scrolling, and lots more. The app also comes with a file sharing technology that allows users to convert EPUB macOS 10.14 files to other suitable formats and to export the files to various types of mobile devices.
- Extensive file format support
- Filesharing technology
- Free EPUB software for macos 10.14
- Has a scant collection of eBook customization tools
With its own book store and a host of different applications that are compatible with different OS, Kobo stands out as one of the best EPUB software for macos 10.14. It comes with a neat, intuitive design that features a user-friendly interface, full screen view, separated windows for open books, and menu neatly displayed on the left for distractions-free reading.
- Viewing options such as font style and size choices, alignments options, margins settings, line spacing options and background themes like day, night, and sepia
- Provides access to a wide array of digital publications including rare and brand new publications
- Sluggish loading speed and slow frame-by-frame transition when a page is turned
Designed as a tabbed style book reader for Mac, Clearview gives users greater control over their reading experience. File formats supported include EPUB, MOBI, PDG, RTF, and lots more. It provides users with library shelf and sorting functionalities. It comes with a rich assortment of interaction tools that include bookmarking, commenting, annotations, etc. In addition to these, it is cross-platform compatible.
- Tabbed reading that allows for a highly organized and efficient book reading session wherein related pages are viewed in group tabs and less time is spent switching between book windows
- Interaction features such as annotation and bookmarks
- It is not inegrated with popular ebook stores and libraries
As the default reader all for Apple devices, iBook is designed with tradition of excellence. It sports a nifty interface with colors displayed vibrantly. The page-turning movement sequence is swift and lifelike.
It supports numerous file formats including EPUB, PDF and DMF free file formats. It is well-known for its reliable filesharing functionalities that syncs files between many devices.
- Simplified navigation
- Adjustable brightness, text style and size, and other ebook costumization features
- eBook collection on iBooks store is relatively smaller
EPUB VS PDF: What is the Difference
As the publishing world vies to put out files in formats that are the most user-freindly, two files formats have proved to be of unparalleled service: EPUB and PDF.
1. Electronic Publication (EPUB)
EPUB was created and popularized by the International Digital Publishing Platform. Designed as the XML format for reflowable digital contents, ePUB quickly caught on among publishing powerhouses. It lends itself to various kinds of usages, including digital newspapers, guild journals, and user manuals.
- Writren in XML and XHTML, ePUB provides an almost incomparable digital publishing solution
- Contents are reflowable and comes in flexible, self-adjusting layout
- It can be read on a wide array of OS, but is independent of any OS
- EPUB is packaged in a ZIP file which contains archived organizational and content files of the publication
- EPUB file creation and archive building requires indepth technical knowledge of the format’s languages, as well as style creation know-how
2. Portable Document Format (PDF)
Portable Document Format was created by Adobe systems in 1993 as a solution for digital publishing that's independent of software and OS. However, a PDF file can only be open on a device with a PDF reader such as Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- PDF is an OS-independent digital publishing solution that lays out files in a neat display on any device
- It supports customization functionalities like font style and size settings, annotation and highlighting, etc. This gives readers optimum control over the layout of the opened files
- PDF files can be easily created through the use of GUI-based third party tools
- Conversion of PDF files to web-friendly formts might be fraught with difficulties
- PDF file contents aren't easily reflowable, and may appear in distorted layouts on some devices
Best Free EPUB Converter for macOS 10.14
As seen above, even the most widely used file formats come with downsides that can mar the reader experience. The bottom line is that each of the file formats are best suited for particular devices. Mac users therefore need to have a reliable free EPUB converter for converting files to and from EPUB file format, depending on which format best suits their devices. PDFelement is a free ePUB converter for MacOS which has left smiles on the faces of millions of users who find it very convenient and expedient to use.
With PDFelement, users can convert various text and image file in various formats including Word, HTML, RTF, Excel, PowerPoint, etc, into fully editable ePUB files. PDFelement also provides users with an impressive collection of file viewing and editing tools. It also features an inbuilt OCR functionality that extracts data from scanned documents into analysis-ready files.
- Quick, easy, and cost-effective file creator
- Converts a plethora of file formats into EPUP, and vice versa
- Batch process feature that allows for the conversion of multiple files in one go
- Powerful file editor with functionalities such as graphics insertion, digital signature creation, watermarks, and more
- File creator that allows for the incorporation of interactive features such as drop-down lists, butons, text fields and more
- A multilingual OCR functionality that extracts data from scanned documents
Buy PDFelement right now!
Buy PDFelement right now!
- Top 10 Free EPUB Readers for macOS 10.14
- How to Troubleshoot Issues of Office for macOS 10.14
- 10 Reasons You Should Have macOS 10.14 Enterprises