Quarkxpress vs InDesign, Which One is Better
When you are trying to purchase the most useful and productive graphic design software, you need to compare products. No matter if you are buying as a single user, or for your company, comparing the most popular products on the market is a must. With that in mind, when it comes to Quarkxpress vs InDesign, there are different opinions. Some like InDesign more, others are in favor of QuarkPress. Generally speaking, InDesign has a higher score, and better user satisfaction. But let's get deeper into the Quark vs InDesign comparison.
Detailed Comparison between Quarkpress vs InDesign
When you compare products, you are more likely to choose the best software for your needs. With that in mind, we go into the pros and cons of each product, price, and more.
Quark was favored for catalog design for many years. Designers use it to create banners, stickers, magazines, books, catalog, flipbooks, newspapers, broachers, user guides, logo design, and more. There are four major categories in Quark, and those are image and vector, typography and text, customer with list items, and digital publishing.
- Most of the tools remain the same, eliminating need for constant learning.
- Best layout creation tool.
- Many useful functions for page builder.
- Easy to handle palette and styles.
- Yearly updates are expensive.
- Tends to crash occasionally.
- Some features are hard to find.
- Lacks adequate layering capabilities like opacity and layer modes.
Starts at $79 for educational purposes. and there are yearly renewals available. The company does not force you to upgrade to the latest version. If you decide the new features are worth upgrading, you can. Otherwise, you are free to use your version for as long as possible. Buying a new license is $849 one-time payment. Depending on from which version you upgrade, the upgrade can cost between $185 and $399.
- Mac OS
InDesign comes with a full set of page layout tools perfect for both print design projects, as well as complex interactive documents. While InDesign has less features than Quark, the software supports more operating systems. Because of its steep learning curve InDesign works better for professionals and dedicated beginners. Novices will have hard time navigating through the software, which is why novice beginners start on Quark.
- Compatible with other Adobe products.
- Many online video tutorials to help you achieve what you want.
- Easy, smart, and automatic global page adjustment.
- Huge selection of downloadable fonts.
- The art asset library requires monthly subscription.
- UI choices are not the best.
- PDF comments integration needs polish.
Available only by subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud. You can choose to either subscribe to a single application for $29.99 per month, or for the entire design suite that includes Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and more. If you pay prepaid for entire year, the price is $239.88.
- Mac OS
Tips: How to Convert Quark to InDesign
If you need to convert Quark to InDesign, we have good news for you. Yes, it is possible to convert a complicated Quark file to InDesign, and work in InDesign for further notice. And the good news, you can do it completely free. With that in mind, to convert Quark to InDesign free, you need a good PDF software.
Some people might say, just use Adobe Acrobat. But Adobe Acrobat is complicated, expensive, and unless you buy subscription for all Adobe products, you probably do not use Acrobat. With that in mind, a better and cheaper alternative to Adobe Acrobat is PDFelement.
With a huge palette of features, PDFelement is one of the most powerful and robust PDF software tools on the market. Here is a quick breakdown of the many features:
- Open, save, and print PDF files.
- Edit text in PDF documents easily.
- Use Edit functions to edit images and objects in PDF files.
- Use OCR technology to turn scanned documents into editable and searchable PDF files.
- Convert PDF files to any other format.
- Insert page numbers and page elements into PDF documents.
- Add annotation tools to make your document look more professionally.
- Secure documents with password protection.
With that in mind, here is a quick guide for how to open Quark files in InDesign, with previously converting them.
Step 1. Export Quark as PDF
First, you need open the Quark file. Click "File" > "Export" > "Layout as PDF". And then open the PDF in PDFelement. You can do this in two ways. The first one is by using drag and drop The second is by clicking on "Open File…", and then locating and opening the Quark PDF file.
Step 2. Edit the PDF (Optional)
Once you open the file, you can easily edit it. Click on "Edit" in the top left corner. If you want to edit text, use either "Line" or "Paragraph mode". Click "Edit" and then select any object or image in the file to edit it.
Step 3. Convert Quark to InDesign
If there is no need to edit it, or you have finished editing, click "Home" > "To Others". A new dialog box will open. Choose the output folder, and choose the output format by changing the "Save as type" option. Go to the output folder once the conversion finishes and open your new file.
Or you can use the "Place" feature in InDesign to import the PDF into InDesign directly.
Buy PDFelement right now!
Buy PDFelement right now!
- How to Export InDesign to PDF
- The Main Differences between InDesign and Photoshop
- How to Add and Edit InDesign Hyperlinks - 2021
- Two Methods to Convert PDF to InDesign on Mac
- Top 5 Alternatives To InDesgin App for iPad and iPhone 13