How to Change the Name of Your Mac on macOS 10.15
To take full control over your Mac, it’s crucial that you know how to change your computer name on Mac OS 10.15. However, your Mac can use different names in different places, and you need to know how to change your computer name on Mac OS 10.15 in each of these places. For instance, your Mac displays your Apple ID in features such as iCloud, and Mail, but displays another name for sharing functions such as Bluetooth.
How to Change Computer Name on macOS 10.15
Changing the User Name on your Mac
Your Mac’s username gives you access to certain settings on your Mac.
To change the user’s name on your Mac,
1. Go to “Apple menu > System Preferences > Users & Groups”.
2. In the next window, tap on the lock icon and then key in your administrator username and password.
3. On the next page, right-click on the username you want to rename and then select “Advanced Options” in the menu that pops up.
4. Now, enter the new username in the “Full Name” field or type the new it into the “Account name” field, or type it into both fields.
Now, you'll be able to tie certain settings to the new username. The settings applied to a certain username will always show up whenever that username becomes active.
Changing Mac Computer’s name on Mac OS 10.15 by Changing your Apple ID
Your Mac displays your Apple ID in places such as iCloud, Mail, etc. To change your Apple ID in these features, you need to enter your desired Apple ID in each of these places. But you can only do so when you have an existing Apple ID account.
To create the desired Apple ID,
Open the Apple ID account page at http://appleid.apple.com on your browser, and then select the “Create your Apple ID” option.
Fill out all the necessary fields with your personal information, select your security question, and then click “Continue”. After verifying your email address, your new Apple ID becomes valid and ready for use.
You can then proceed to use the new name in Apple apps and services.
To change your computer name on iCloud, open “System Preferences > iCloud”, and then key in your Apple ID and password, and then tap on the “Sign in” button.
To change your computer name in iMessage, open iMessages, and then go to “Preferences > Accounts”, and then type in your Apple ID and password.
For FaceTime, simply open FaceTime and then key in your Apple ID and password, and then select “Sign In”.
Change your Mac Name on File Sharing Platforms
Lastly, there’s the name displayed under your computer icon that’s usually found in the upper right-hand corner of your Mac’s screen. This name is meant for display only, and can easily be changed without affecting your access to system files, features, and settings.
This Mac computer name is also what other people see on file-sharing platforms like Bluetooth.
To change this computer name,
1. Open the Apple menu, and then select “System Preferences”.
2. Now, in the System Preference window, select “Sharing”, and then navigate to the field named “Computer Name”, and then select “Edit” to input the desired text in the field.
3. Once you’re through, click any random spot to save your changes. And that’s it. Other people will then see this new Mac name as your computer name.
Learn more about PDFelement for Mac >>
Buy PDFelement right now!
Buy PDFelement right now!
- How to Remove Login Password on macOS 10.15
- How to Fix the Colored Lines on macOS 10.15
- How to Fix Gmail Not Working on macOS 10.15