Almost every business on the planet relies on their computer systems functioning smoothly, but that can't always be the case. That's where technical support staff comes in to fix problems with computer hardware and systems. It is a highly skilled job and any technical cover letter, as part of a job application, will need to show your skills in the field. The below example for a technical support cover letter is a good starting point, especially if you need to produce a technical support engineer cover letter.
- # Technical Cover Letter Template
- # Technical Cover Letter Sample
- # Tips for Writing Technical Cover Letter
- # How to Edit Technical Cover Letter Template
Technical Cover Letter Template
Technical Cover Letter Sample (Text)
I recently came across your new job alert for the technical support engineer role at your company and have written to you because I believe I am perfect for the role.
I recently graduated from a degree in Computer Science from the Technical College of Midland with First Class Honors and since then have been providing technical support for a large e-commerce conglomerate working across all their head office teams.
Although, I have a strong academic grounding in computing it is the hands-on, practical solution element of working in technical support that has lead me down this career path. I also hugely enjoy the element of having to work directly with a large number of staff to solve their system issues.
In my current role, I have overseen a 40% decrease in downtime across all systems, provided training on new software packages and upgraded all systems and machines. I have also been involved in discussions about our systems comply with data storage as GDPR comes into play for the data of our European customers and clients.
I am an avid follower of technology news and keep up to date with all best practices and developments that can be applied to my work. I understand the needs of your company are vastly different and your systems more complex than in my current role, but I feel that my knowledge and skill set will be of huge benefit to you. After researching your company, I am very impressed with your constant application of new innovations and how you encourage a culture of fearless innovation in your staff. This is an environment where I feel I can thrive and develop to be an even more effective technical support engineer.
I would love the opportunity to discuss this position and my skills with you in more detail. I am available for a conversation at any time.
Thanks for your time.
Tips for Writing a Technical Cover Letter
The skills of a technical support engineer can be very important to a business. If they are not up to standard it can affect the productivity of the whole business. Each role will have slightly different requirements, but the above technical support cover letter is a good start (it can also be used as the basis for a technical director cover letter or technical support analyst cover letter). The below advice and tips will help you make the most of the example above.
- In technical roles, you really need to know your stuff. Use as many industry key words and technical terms as you can throughout your cover letter. Employers will be picking up on your industry knowledge and considering you based on that.
- Skills and qualifications are very important, but the employer will also be looking for your passion in technical support. Write with passion.
- Proofread! Read through your technical cover letter thoroughly and go through every detail, this could mean the difference between success or rejection.
- Lead in with some information on your experience and career to date. This candidate explains their academic qualifications and where they have been working since graduating. They also outline what work they have been undertaking in the role. Give them a taste of who you are but don't give them too much information. You want them to come back to you to find out more.
- This candidate then explains what it is about the technical support engineer role that excites them and how it fits in with their personality and career goals.
- Now is the time to get specific. Provide some specific examples of your success in your work, using statistics if you have them. Again, don't give away too much information.
- It is also important to frame your personality and skills to explain how they will fit into the company's work and company culture. This is essentially what an employer is looking for. Research the company and explain what it is about them that you admire and how you would like to become part of that.
- Close the letter with a reminder for the employer that you are good for the job and that you are keen to discuss it with them further.
How to Edit Technical Cover Letter Template
It is smart to free download a PDF cover letter template in this page and edit it to make it your own unique cover letter. To edit the PDF template, you need a professional PDF editor, Wondershare PDFelement - PDF Editor. This is an all-in-one PDF software that enables you to create, edit, annotate, sign, convert, and print PDF files.