Clerkship positions are highly-sought after for anyone looking to progress in a legal career. It is also highly competitive. Because of this your clerkship cover letter needs to stand out from the crowd. Use the below sample clerkship cover letter to get started on crafting your own perfect law clerkship cover letter.
- # Clerkship Cover Letter Template
- # Clerkship Cover Letter Sample
- # Tips for Writing Clerkship Cover Letter
- # How to Edit Clerkship Cover Letter Template
Clerkship Cover Letter Template
Clerkship Cover Letter Sample (Text)
I am applying to the clerkship you have available and believe I am perfect for the role.
I have recently graduated with a High Honors, Juris Degree from the Top Law University where I received high praise from staff at every stage of the degree program. Please refer to the references included at the end of my resume to read thoughts on my work to date.
I am up-to-date with all the procedures and activities of your court and extensively researched how you like to work.
I am now excited to apply my learning in a practical environment in an active and busy court, working under a judge who I admire.
Judge Johnson has always impressed me with her fairness and ability to get to the heart of a case before passing judgement. Speaking to past judicial clerks working under her I have heard about the strong communication, team-environment and supportive culture. This is something I would very much like to be part of.
I understand that I am new to the field and there might be more experienced candidates, but I am eager to make my first professional appointment with such a respected institution.
I would love the opportunity to use my experience as a benefit to your court and look forward to discussing this with you further.
Tips for Writing Clerkship Cover Letter
Clerkships are among the most prestigious and competitive employment opportunities available to recent graduates. Usually lasting one to two years, a law clerkship or federal clerkship is an excellent way to bridge the gap between law school and the practice of law.
The above cover letter clerkship sample is a good starting point to get the employers attention, which can be difficult coming straight out of a degree. The below tips and advice supporting the sample cover letter for judicial clerkship, or other roles like a federal clerkship cover letter, will explain further how you can succeed.
- Paperwork is a key part of the working life of any clerk. Your clerkship cover letter needs to reflect your strong abilities in presenting professional paperwork. Make a good impression with a professionally formatted letter, and by using a readable font.
- Be personal with your letter's salutation! Find out the name of the direct contact you need to apply to and use it for addressing your cover letter. This extra effort and personal touch could be the difference between your cover letter getting read or rejected. Don't lose the employers interest at this early stage.
- Summarize why you are sending the cover letter to the employer. In most cases, the reason is you have seen the job alert and believe you are perfect for the job.
- If you are applying for a clerkship, it is likely you won't have much career history to focus on. In this case focus on your qualifications and academic achievements to date. This candidate focuses on the High Honors achievement and the high praise from teaching staff.
- Most candidates at this point would focus on specific experience and achievements with a bit more detail and statistics to back them up. Employers react well to candidates succinctly applying their experience and learning to the issues they face directly. The candidate in the above example explains how her current knowledge of the legal system would be of benefit to the court. Never give away too much information, you want the employer to read on and look into you further as a candidate.
- Take time to research the court, how they work and their culture and highlight what you like about it and how you can fit into their work in your cover letter. Explaining how the court can benefit you in your career progression will show you have properly thought about the application and you are serious about the role.
- Drive home the point of the cover letter and give the employer one final reminder to get in touch with you because you are perfect for the job. They should take time to contact you, remind them of that fact!
- Written mistakes will not be accepted in legal proceedings, and they won't be accepted in your cover letter either! Thoroughly proof-read your clerkship cover letter before sending it off to avoid rejection because of pointless mistakes and typos.
How to Edit Clerkship Cover Letter Template
To edit the clerkship cover letter template, you need a professional PDF editor: Wondershare PDFelement - PDF Editor. It is an all-in-one PDF solution which enable users to create, edit, annotate, convert, protect, sign, OCR and print PDF documents.