Scholarship Evaluation Boards have a lot of information to consider when deciding who to award scholarships for. Your scholarship cover letter is the first, and arguably most important, step in securing a scholarship. Unlike other cover letters, you are asking the institution not to hire you but pay to train you in your chosen field. The below scholarship cover letter sample is a good starting point for what to include in your own cover letter for scholarship positions.
- # Free Scholarship Cover Letter Template
- # Scholarship Cover Letter Sample
- # Tips for Writing Scholarship Cover Letter
- # How to Edit Scholarship Cover Letter Template
Free Scholarship Cover Letter Template
Scholarship Cover Letter Sample (Text)
RE: scholarship application
Dear Mr. Fischer,
I am writing to you to submit my application for a scholarship to Edu Tech's Financial Aid Program for the semester starting September 2018. I have been provisionally accepted on your Computer Science program but no longer have the financial means to begin my studies in the Fall.
I have enclosed my acceptance letter and a copy of my high school grades to show my high academic achievements.
I have been highly commended for my work in so far in the field of computing and your admissions office stated that I was a student with ‘exceptional potential' and that I would be an asset to the school. I have been my ambition to attend the school and progress into a computing career for many years.
Unfortunately, my family has been hit by large medical bills following my father's bout with cancer and I have now been left without the necessary financial means to pay the fees required to join the course in September.
At my high school, I was an active part of the community outside of the academic curriculum, including playing on the baseball team and being an active part of the school newspaper. I am an active member of the community wherever I go and believe this attribute would be of huge benefit to Edu Tech.
I have always been impressed with your school's scholarship program and hope that this could offer me a lifeline to still attend your university. I intend to work in employment to improve my circumstances and study while my family goes through this difficult time.
Thank you for your consideration. If you require any further information on my application, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Thanks for your time on this matter.
Tips for Writing a Scholarship Cover Letter
Writing a cover letter for a scholarship is a special type of cover letter and you need to strike the right tone. You are essentially asking the institution to allow you to study for free. The scholarship cover letter needs to make your case and provide positive reasons for you getting the scholarship while often talking about negative circumstances. There are many scholarship cover letter examples available online, but the above cover letter scholarship sample is a good place to start. These tips will further outline what you need to include in your own cover letter.
- This is one of the most important letters you will ever write. Use a formal letter template and a readable font to create the right impression and show that you are serious about your request.
- Address the letter to the correct member of the university staff. Scholarship departments get a lot of requests and not addressing the letter correctly is likely to get it rejected quickly. Avoid general greetings like ‘To Whom It May Concern.'
- Begin by explaining the purpose of your sending the letter. Generally, it is because you are submitting an application for a scholarship or financial aid program at a specific university. Name the university and the exact program you are applying too so the staff member can process it easily and quickly.
- Mention the supporting documents that you have included and why.
- Start with a positive about yourself. This candidate explains they have good grades and that during the application process they were highly commended by the admissions office. This shows that their attendance is wanted by the school.
- This is where you need to explain why you need support. Be direct and to the point about your circumstances. Don't hide the reality but don't go into too much detail. The university staff member needs to understand the situation but not feel you are using emotion too much to win them over.
- Return to positives about you as a person and your academic career. This candidate highlights their active involvement in their school community and culture. This sets them up as of more value to the school than simply their academic performance. At this point, they also mention how much they admire the school and the scholarship program for offering opportunities.
- Mention that you are available to provide more information about your application or discuss it further should the reader wish to learn more. This will show your willingness to discuss the issues and your seriousness about gaining a scholarship.
- This is a request for an academic scholarship and if your letter is littered with mistakes and typos you'll been rejected. This will not show your academic skills in a good light. Proofread thoroughly and, if possible, get someone else to look over your scholarship cover letter as well before sending it off.
How to Edit Scholarship Cover Letter Template
An outstanding scholarship cover letter will help you get the attention of the reader quickly. You can use the PDF cover letter template here and make it your own cover letter. It is your best choice to edit and customize the PDF template with Wondershare PDFelement - PDF Editor, a professional PDF editor.