An N-400 petition form is used when an individual wants to apply for United States citizenship. The form can be filed online or by mail, and you may feel that it would benefit from a cover letter to assist the application.
In this short guide, we aim to help you figure out how to write an N-400 cover letter and we'll also show you a N-400 sample cover letter which we've written for you. The N-400 is a crucial step in gaining United States citizenship, so it's vital that you make as few mistakes in your application as possible.
- # N-400 Cover Letter Sample
- # Structure of an N-400 Cover Letter
- # Tips for Writing N-400 Cover Letter
- # How to Edit N-400 Cover Letter Template
N-400 Cover Letter Template
N-400 Cover Letter Sample (Text)
To help you understand the structure a little better, we've written our own sample N-400 cover letter for you to follow or use as a template. Remember that these N-400 cover letters should not be overly complex, as they are just a simple and formal introduction to a document packet, to let the USCIS know which form they're about to look at and what evidence has been supplied.
Your Street Address
Month Day, Year
RE: N-400, Application for Naturalization
Applicant: (insert your full name)
A-Number: (insert your Alien Registration Number)
Dear USCIS Officer,
I am now writing to apply for naturalization as a U.S. citizen based on my five years of continuous residence in the United States. I was granted Permanent Residence on (insert date). Enclosed, please find the following documents:
- Check for (insert USCIS fee in USD here)
- Completed Form N-400
- Completed Form G-1145
- A photocopy of the front and back of my permanent resident card
- A photocopy of my current marriage certificate
I request that you process my Application for Naturalization as soon as possible. If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to call me at (your contact number). Thank you for your time.
(print your name)
You can see here that like other petition form cover letters, the N-400 cover letter is short and to the point. Cover letters for N-400 or other petition forms are not like job cover letters. They don't need to contain a huge amount of information or point out various attributes that an individual has. They are a covering letter in perhaps the most basic sense of the word, used only as a formal introduction to a petition document packet.
Structure of an N-400 Cover Letter
The structure of an N-400 cover letter is fairly straightforward, but to give you a helping hand, we've written a structure guide below in bullet points. These may not make too much sense right away, but after this section, we've also included a sample N-400 cover letter which you can use as a template when writing your own N-400 cover letter.
The structure of an N-400 cover letter should look something like this:
- Start with your contact information (address, zip code).
- Add the date.
- Address the USCIS with their filing address.
- Add a subject line.
- Opening salutation.
- Inform the officer why you're writing to them.
- Include a list of all the documents attached to the N-400 cover letter.
- Thank the USCIS officer for their time.
- Note a contact number for them to reach you at.
- Sign-off professionally.
- Sign and print your name.
Tips for Writing N-400 Cover Letter
The N-400 petition is an important time for any immigrant. It will have been at least 5 years since they moved to the United States and they'll have substantial evidence that they have lived here comfortably in that time. Therefore, it's vital that the N-400 cover letter is written professionally, with no mistakes, and for it to briefly introduce the individual's circumstances within a few lines, so as to not waste USCIS officer time.
We've written a few writing tips that we feel you may benefit from when drafting your N-400 cover letter:
- Clearly mark the document packet with the type of submission (the form number and name).
- Clearly mark all documents involved with the type of submission.
- Always date your covering letter.
- Address the USCIS respectfully.
- Remain professional throughout.
- Briefly introduce why you are writing to the USCIS.
- Remember to include your fee.
- Include a basic, itemised list of documents that you've sent alongside the N-400 cover letter.
- Request that your application be looked at in a timely manner.
- Thank the USCIS for their time.
- Sign your cover letter.
- Sign all of your official documents.
- Do not list a piece of evidence that you are not sending.
- Ensure that you use your full, legal name at all times.
- Include your alien number where appropriate.
With these extensive tips, our N-400 sample cover letter, and the structure in the first section of this guide, we're positive that you'll easily be able to handle this final step towards finishing up your N-400 application to the USCIS.
How to Edit N-400 Cover Letter Template
PDF cover letter can bring you an interview call effectively, due to the popularity of PDF format. If you have downloaded the PDF cover letter template in this page, you may want to edit it and make it your own cover letter. Wondershare PDFelement - PDF Editor, the best PDF editor, will help you edit and customize the templates with ease.