The position of judicial clerk is a highly sought-after one for anyone looking to progress in a legal career. It is also highly competitive. Because of this your judicial clerkship needs to stand out from the crowd. Use the below sample judicial clerkship cover letter to get started on crafting your own perfect cover letter for judicial clerkship positions.
- # Judicial Clerkship Cover Letter Template
- # Judicial Clerkship Cover Letter Sample
- # Tips for Writing Judicial Clerkship Cover Letter
- # How to Edit Judicial Clerkship Cover Letter Template
Free Judicial Clerkship Cover Letter Template
Judicial Clerkship Cover Letter Sample (Text)
I am applying to the judicial clerkship you have available and believe I am perfect for the role.
I have recently graduated with a High Honors, Juris Degree from the Top Law University where I received high praise from staff at every stage of the degree program. Please refer to the references included at the end of my resume to read thoughts on my work to date.
I am up-to-date with all the procedures and activities of your court and extensively researched how you like to work.
I am now excited to apply my learning in a practical environment in an active and busy court, working under a judge who I admire.
Judge Maconney has always impressed me with her fairness and ability to get to the heart of a case before passing judgement. Speaking to past judicial clerks working under her I have heard about the strong communication, team-environment and supportive culture. This is something I would very much like to be part of.
I understand that I am new to the field and there might be more experienced candidates, but I am eager to make my first professional appointment with such a respected institution.
I would love the opportunity to use my experience as a benefit to your court and look forward to discussing this with you further.
Tips for Writing Judicial Clerkship Cover Letter
Judicial clerkships are among the most prestigious and competitive employment opportunities available to recent graduates. Usually lasting one to two years, a judicial clerkship is an excellent way to bridge the gap between law school and the practice of law.
The above judicial clerkship cover letter sample is a good starting point to get employers attention, which can be difficult coming straight out of a degree. The below tips and advice supporting the sample cover letter for judicial clerkship will explain further how you can succeed.
- Much of the judicial clerkship position is about writing and providing professional paperwork, and your cover letter judicial clerkship needs to reflect your abilities in this area. Make sure you present your letter with a professional letter format and a readable font.
- Encourage the employer to contact you by including all your contact details visibly at the top of the letter.
- Make the salutation personal! There will be a specific person who is hiring for the position, so find out who they are and address the letter directly to them. This extra effort and personal touch could be the difference between your cover letter getting read or rejected. Don't lose the employers interest at this early stage.
- Employers spend just eight seconds deciding whether to read further into a candidate. Your opening paragraph needs to quickly state why you are writing and sell your abilities.
- Going into the next stage of the cover letter it is likely you won't have much career history to focus on, so focus on your qualifications and academic achievements to date. This candidate focuses on the High Honors achievement and the high praise from teaching staff.
- Explain how you want to apply your learning and experience to the practical work of the court. Most candidates at this point would focus on specific experience and achievements with a bit more detail and statistics to back them up. In this example the writer elaborates on how her up-to-date knowledge would benefit the court. In all cases don't give too much information as you want the employer to read on and get in touch with questions.
- Show you have researched the specific court by highlighting specific examples of what you like about their work and court culture and how that aligns with your own career goals and aspirations. This will show you are serious about the role and have thought about every aspect of the job before applying for it.
- End by being direct about wanting the employer to contact you. Remind them one final time you are perfect for the job and would really like to discuss the opportunity further.
- Attention to detail is a big part of this job, so take time to properly proof-read your judicial clerk cover letter for mistakes and typos. If you fail to do this and send off a poorly written letter you will not get the job.
How to Edit Judicial Clerkship Cover Letter Template
If you send your judicial clerkship cover letter as a PDF document, you will be more likely to get the interview call. Wondershare PDFelement - PDF Editor is the best PDF editor to help you create a unique and strong PDF cover letter with multiple tools. It also had plenty of PDF cover letter templates embedded in the program.