Crafting a data scientist cover letter that catches the attention of the prospective employer is the first step to landing a job in this fast growing technical field. Your data scientist cover letter entry level or even more advanced should bring you as a candidate to life but it's always easier said than done. If you are wondering how to write a compelling data scientist cover letter entry level or any level for that matter then we have compiled some tips for you including how a cover letter sample!
- # Data Scientist Cover Letter Template
- # Data Scientist Cover Letter Sample
- # Tips for Writing Data Scientist Cover Letter
- # How to Edit Data Scientist Cover Letter Template
Free Data Scientist Cover Letter Template
Data Scientist Cover Letter Sample (Text)
145 Lenana Street,
San Francisco, CA, 94122.
20th February 2018.
To the Director,
Techno Firm Co.
768 Main Street,
San Francisco, CA, 94122.
RE: APPLICATION FOR A DATA SCIENTIST POSITION
Following your advertisement of 15th January on Techno Firm website, I am applying for the position of Data Scientist. My passion for computer science led me to study Bachelor of Science at La Roche University. My academic background reflects strong grades in Mathematics which is an added advantage in pursuing industry-related interests. I am confident that I would be a valuable addition to your team.
For the past two years, I have been a data scientist at Microsoft Co. My responsibilities included analysis of raw data and part of the team that created data products such as Google's Graph Search. Among those I also assisted with casual inferences, analyzing relationships in data developed algorithms and observations with finding patterns. Working at Microsoft Co. enhanced my knowledge on how to identify and answer questions related to data science, then using that information to the advantage of the team.
During my internship, I worked as an entry-level data scientist at Center for Data Science at RTI International. This is one of the state's largest and independent non-profit scientific research centers. I performed duties such as analyzing source data, consumer insights, and behavioral science.
Working for you as one of the largest data scientist company will be a dream come true. I will use my determination for solving problems and bold approach to challenges to improve the reputable status of the company. Your time and consideration are highly appreciated. I have attached my resume' and copies of certifications alongside my cover letter.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Tips for Writing a Data Scientist Cover Letter
Let's hit it off with the content, how to prepare and how to write data scientist cover letter:
- Weave your letter to suit the job you are seeking. Generic cover letters will turn-off the employer. Get clarity on what the company is seeking then tailor your cover letter in that direction.
- Identify what excites you about the job. For instance, you can say "I am especially excited about this position since it gives me an opportunity to solve data scientist challenges. Embracing new challenges is inspiring to me..."
- Flaunt your skills. There are about eight data science competencies you should be familiar with. They include programming skills, statistics, machine learning, data wrangling, multivariable calculus and linear algebra among others. Mention the ones you are excellent at and the duties you performed that are in line with the competencies.
- Quantify your success. Use numbers. Use percentages and numbers to quantify your notable achievements. You can say “I led a team in redesigning a website that brought in 73% more traffic within two months. “
- Send your cover letter in PDF. PDF is the most accessible format for most companies. We recommend that if you are emailing your job application letter, send it to data scientist cover letter PDF.
- Use a professional font, format, and template. Use legible and neat handwriting if the letter is handwritten. . If you are typing, use a font of 12 and preferably Times New Roman, Arial, and Georgia.
- Edit!!! We cannot overemphasize this point. Proofread your letter severally. Any slight mistake might sabotage your chances of landing the job. A flawless data scientist cover letter will automatically impress potential employers. Go a step further and let a trusted person read your letter while correcting where necessary.
What You Should Avoid In A Data Scientist Cover Letter:
- Do not write a wall of text. Break your letter into three to four paragraphs. The arrangement appears aesthetic and appealing to the eyes. Each section should voice a particular idea.
- Avoid writing long letters. A data scientist cover letter that is way too long is a turn-off. A page or half a page is perfect, around 300-350 words. Period! Go straight to the point; job application.
- Steer clear of extra images in your letter. It should not surprise you that some people insert pictures and even emojis in their letter. Steer clear of that.
Bonus tip about writing data scientist cover letter:
Avoid vague professional jargon. Use specific examples to demonstrate a point. Avoid words like “I am a team player." Instead, use a real example like "I worked successfully with a team that created data products such as Google's Graph Search on my previous workstation." The prospective employer will deduce the fact that you can work well in a team.
How to Edit a Data Scientist Cover Letter Template
It is suggested that you send your data scientist cover letter in PDF, which is the most accessible format for most companies. To edit the cover letter, you can use the perfect PDF editor: Wondershare PDFelement - PDF Editor. But if you can't get used to using PDF format, don't worry, you can edit your cover letter in Word document and then just turn it into PDF format in the end with PDFelement.
- Create PDF cover letter from any other file formats, including Word, Excel, Text etc.
- Modify the content of the PDF cover letter template freely
- Edit the images, graphics in the PDF template easily
- Protect your cover letter with password, permission and redactions