You have to be a very specific kind of person with a special kind of personality to become a school counselor. It is important that your school counselor cover letter shows not only your skills but who you are to show you are right for this job. Follow this sample cover letter for school counselor jobs to make you shine in the eyes of school employers with your cover letter for school counselor jobs.
- # School Counselor Cover Letter Template
- # School Counselor Cover Letter Sample
- # Tips for Writing School Counselor Cover Letter
- # How to Edit School Counselor Cover Letter Template
School Counselor Cover Letter Template
School Counselor Cover Letter Sample (Text)
I am applying for your new role of school counselor because I feel I have the perfect experience and skills to make a real difference to the lives of your students.
With 10 years in the teaching profession before retraining as a counselor/therapist I have the experience in education and the skills in counseling to connect with both students and staff.
Teaching has always been a passion of mine but seeing how successful counseling can help staff and students to achieve the targets. Recently, for the last school I worked in I created a new peer-mediation procedure for engaging with under-performing and at risk students which is already seeing positive results.
Why consider me for this role:
- I have direct experience in both teaching and counseling and have the required qualifications in both areas.
- I have worked with children from a diverse range of backgrounds and abilities and I understand how to get the best out of them.
- I introduced a new peer-mediation procedure in my previous school resulting in a 31% decrease in office referrals.
- I have experience of working directly with students struggling with behavioral and disability challenges.
- I started a discussion group for 50 students in my grade to discuss the issues they face in their lives. It was enlightening and opened up some strong discussion.
From your job advert I understand that your school is facing some unique challenges with students, and this is a challenge that I personally would love to take on. Having researched your school I am inspired and impressed by the community and activities that you create for your students and the positive impact you have on their lives. This is a culture that I would like to be part of.
With my previous experience in the classroom and my newly acquired skills as a counselor I feel I am perfectly placed to deliver support and advice to students and also improve the structures of that support in your school.
Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Tips for Writing School Counselor Cover Letter
School counselors fulfil an important role in schools and need to display passion and understanding for the needs of students and staff. Because of this your personality and passion need to shine through in you cover letter for school counselor roles.
These elementary school counselor cover letter tips explain the different sections of the above school counselor cover letter template with some advice on how to make your application a success.
- Administrative and office work is a big part of school counselor's role, so presenting your cover letter in a professional, formal manner is essential. Use a professional letter style and template and write it in a formal readable font. Ensure your contacts details are easily visible at the top of the cover letter.
- It takes just eight seconds for an employer to reject a cover letter for school counsellor, and if it isn't personally address to them, that's it, it's in the trash! Take time to find out the name of the direct contact you are applying to. This simple act could be the difference between success and failure.
- As this is a special role requiring special skills. Your opening paragraph needs to briefly explain why you are worth considering and entice the employer to want more information.
- Next you need to get specific with why you are good for a school counselor role. Write in such a way that highlights your biggest achievements but also requires more information to fully understand them. Don't give away too much, you still want the school to read your CV.
- If you have several major points to make split them down into bullet-points. This will draw the school's attention to the information you want to highlight. Again, provide only a taste of what they need to know.
- You also need to make the cover letter a little bit about the school itself. Why do you want to work there? What is it about the school that you admire and want to be part of? Showing you have researched the school before applying will illustrate a strong commitment to the role.
- Finish with a succinct call to action for the employer to get in touch with you. Give them one final reminder that you are perfect for the job.
- Make sure you properly proofread your supervisor cover letter. If your cover letter is littered with mistakes you are unlikely to be given a job interview and won't get the job! It's best to have someone else read over the cover letter before you send it off.
How to Edit School Counselor Cover Letter Template
To sand out in the fierce competition for school counselor jobs, you will surely prepare a strong PDF cover letter. You can use the best PDF editor, Wondershare PDFelement - PDF Editor, to edit the PDF cover letter templates. It can also help you create, convert, annotate and OCR PDF files.