In the digital age, journalism has become highly competitive with many full-time and paid roles becoming harder and harder to get. Modern journalists need to have skills in a multiple of different disciplines and a new range of skills. With such high competition your journalism cover letter needs to stand out from the crowd. The below journalism cover letter example will guide you through the elements you need to include in your own journalism cover letter.
- # Journalism Cover Letter Template
- # Journalism Cover Letter Sample
- # Tips for Writing Journalism Cover Letter
- # How to Edit Journalism Cover Letter Template
Free Journalism Cover Letter Template
This is a free cover letter template for journalism. Free Download and customize it according to the sample text below.
Journalism Cover Letter Sample (Text)
I am writing to apply for the position of Junior Reporter at your newspaper and website and I am certain that I have the right qualifications and skills to fit the role perfectly.
I recently graduated from MidWestern Journalism School with a BA Honors degree in Journalism, obtaining a First Class grading. During my time at university I was a reporter and then Editor of the campus newspaper, and undertook freelance writing assignments for the MidWestern Herald, Buzzfeed and Politico.
It is safe to say that as well as gaining my formal qualifications I have been proactive in creating an active portfolio of journalism work with news outlets. During my time as Editor of the campus newspaper we have increased interaction with the student body and broken a sexual assault story that made national headlines with the New York Times, CNN and the Washington Post amongst others. Off the back of this story I have just completed an internship with the Washington Post.
A position at the Post would be fantastic but your publication fits in with my personal and career goals much more effectively.
The standard of your reporting has always impressed me, and your recent redesign has been a massive success. Yours is a journalistic culture that would relish the chance to be a part of. I feel I can bring much to the team as well as learn a lot about journalistic craft from your excellent team.
I would really like the chance to discuss my skills and the job role with you further, and I am available to talk through this at any time.
Thanks for your time,
Tips for Writing a Journalism Cover Letter
There are many different journalism cover letter examples available online, but the above journalism cover letter sample is a very good starting point for writing your own letter. The field of journalism is one of the most competitive to get into and so journalism cover letters need to impress more than letters for other careers.
The below tips and advice will take you through what you need to write your cover letter journalism.
- Quality and professional writing is at the heart of journalism, so your cover letter needs to reflect your abilities in this. Use a professional letter template and a readable font. Also, write clearly and succinctly to show your writing style and personality.
- Lead in to the letter by outlining your qualifications and experience to date. This journalism candidate explains their academic qualifications and their extra-curricular experience. In journalism, work experience is as important as academic achievement, so you should outline this. This candidate has been Editor of their campus newspaper and has written for a range of other publications. This is essential.
- As experience is such an important component of impressing journalism employers, this candidate expands on this point with more specific information about how they have been proactive in gaining experience, including talking about their internship. They also mention the success of their work at their campus newspaper.
- It is important to show how the employer would be good for you and why you want to work for them. Research what they do and mention some of their work directly. Then explain how you would like to apply your skills to their work culture. This will show them that you are serious about the role and working with them.
- Remind the employer that you are keen to discuss the role further and you are available to talk at any time. Leave them with very little doubt that they should get in contact with you.
- Writing without mistakes is essential for journalists, so ensure you take time to properly proofread your journalism cover letter before sending it off. If possible have another person read over it as well before sending it.
How to Edit Journalism Cover Letter Template
To make your cover letter more attractive, you can try to send it as PDF format. The PDF cover letter template in this page will help you. Edit and customize the template, and you will get your own PDF cover letter easily. To realize this, you need a professional PDF editor: Wondershare PDFelement - PDF Editor. It can help you edit any elements in the template.