Form I-485 is used when an individual wants to adjust their residential status to lawful permanent resident (green card holder) without returning to their home country for an immigrant visa. For people of an immigration status wishing to obtain a green card, you may need a cover letter to tie all of your documents together in a neat package. In this article, we'll introduce the structure of an I-485 cover letter, and one of our I-485 cover letter samples.
- # I-485 Cover Letter Sample
- # I-485 Cover Letter Structure
- # Tips for Writing I-485 Cover Letter
- # How to Edit I-485 Cover Letter Template
I-485 Cover Letter Template
I-485 Cover Letter Sample (Text)
Now that you've seen the structure, we've put together a short sample I-485 cover letter that you can use as a template to write your own I-485 cover letter. This I-485 cover letter sample uses a married couple as an example, but it would be easy to change in different circumstances.
Your street address
Month Day, Year
USCIS centre address
Re: Adjustment of Status Application (Family-Based I-130 Immediate Relative)
Beneficiary: (insert your full name)
Petitioner: (insert petitioner's full name)
Dear USCIS Officer,
I am writing to inform you of the list of documents included in this document packet. Please find my completed Adjustment of Status application for the beneficiary, (insert your full name), and the petitioner, (insert your spouse's full name）, who is a United States citizen, and my spouse.
Accompanied by this letter, the following documents have been enclosed to support this application:
- A check for （USCIS fees in USD for each form）.
- Form G-1145.
- Form I-130 for the petitioner.
- Form I-130A for the beneficiary.
- Form I-485 for the beneficiary, with two photographs included.
- Form I-765 for the beneficiary.
- Form I-131 for the beneficiary.
- A recent medical exam for the beneficiary.
- The beneficiary's birth certificate and a certified translation.
- A copy of the petitioner's birth certificate.
- A copy of the beneficiary's passport.
- A copy of I-94 Arrival/Departure Record.
- A copy of our U.S. Marriage Certificate.
- The beneficiary's divorce decree.
- The petitioner's I-864 petition and supporting documents.
If you happen to have any concerns at all about this application or any of the documents provided, please do not hesitate to contact me at (insert phone number).
Thank you for your time.
(Printed full name)
It's rare that you'll need to include any other information than this in a I-485 cover letter, due to the application as a whole. This should be more than enough as a cover letter for an Adjustment of Status application which concerns a family member.
Structure of an I-485 Cover Letter
The structure of an I-485 cover letter is fairly basis, but we've put together this quick guide to help you make sure that you've covered everything you need to:
- Your postal address.
- The date ("Month Day, Year").
- Address the USCIS and the add the address for the service centre you're filing at.
- Subject line ("Re: Adjustment of Status Application (Family-Based I-130 Immediate Relative)").
- Beneficiary's full name, petitioner's full name.
- Reason for contacting the USCIS using full names.
- List of enclosed documents.
- Contact number in case of concerns.
- Closing salutation.
- Print full name.
Tips for writing an architecture cover letter
Writing an architecture job cover letter is the first opportunity you have in impressing an employer enough for them to consider hiring you. Even in the digital age a cover letter for architecture job is a very important thing to get right. The above architecture cover letter is a good starting template for writing your own letter. The below advice and tips will explain further what you need to write.
- Architecture is an extremely professional field to work in and first impressions count. Ensure you letter is properly laid out and formatted with a formal letter template and a readable font.
- Keep your cover letter short, one page is ideal.
- Write in the active voice (I started the architecture project) instead of the passive voice (The architecture project I started). This will sell you more directly.
- Make sure your cover letter is unique for the specific firm you are applying to. Avoid sending out a templated cover letter with the names and information changed on each. Write specific to that company’s requirements.
- Keep a positive and direct tone throughout the letter. At this stage provide a summary of your skills and experience to date such as your academic qualifications and the length you have been working in the field.
- Start to expand on this with some specific details of your experience. This candidate explains who they have been working for since graduation and the types of work they have been undertaking. Whilst being positive and selling yourself don’t provide too much information. You want to need a follow-up conversation to sell yourself further.
- As well as your specific projects outline what skills you have such as skills and software you are proficient in for delivering architecture projects.
- Start to apply all this practical skill and experience to your personality and how this all creates a package for you as a candidate. Sell yourself positively and illustrate how you as a person makes you stand out from other people applying.
- Employers also want to see that you have considered what it would be like to work for them. Explain what it is you like about their company (use examples if possible) and relate that to how you would fit into their working culture.
- Remind the employer that you are keen to get the job and would like the opportunity to discuss that matter further.
- Don’t send off your architecture cover letter before properly proofreading it. Typos and mistakes are likely to get your cover letter rejected on a technicality and not based on your actual skills. If possible get another person to read it over as well.
How to Edit I-485 Cover Letter Template
It is smart to send a PDF cover letter together with your resume, because PDF format becomes more and more popular nowadays. You can download the free PDF cover letter templates in our article and then edit it with a smart PDF editor, Wondershare PDFelement - PDF Editor. It will help you customize the contents of your I-485 cover letter with ease.