1. Obtain Information: Like every other rental agreement, it is important to obtain information from both the landlord and the tenant. For a landlord, it is very important not to allow anyone into your house or rent a room without creating the proper room rental agreement which will include knowing the personal details of the tenant. Also, a tenant renting a room should make sure that he or she does not enter a room without a proper room rental agreement. A room rental agreement form should contain the legal names of both the landlord and tenant, the address of the building, and contact information.
2. Terms of Rental: The terms of rent should be created. This step should talk about the basis of the rent. For example, if the room rental agreement starts halfway through the month, it then means that the first month's rent will be prorated and the subsequent rent payment will start counting from the first day of each month.
3. Termination: This part of the document should be created to incorporate that either party may wish to terminate the agreement with a 30 day written notice delivered to the other party.
4. Rent and Security Deposit: This part of the room rental lease agreement talks about the rent and security deposit. Monthly rent will be paid to the landlord per month which is due on the first of each calendar month unless the agreement takes off halfway into the month. In that case, it would be prorated. It is important to note that the rent can be paid in cash, check or any other forms as agreed by both parties and the tenant is expected to pay a security deposit as a form of insurance for any damage caused by the tenant.
5. Utilities: The rent will form part of utilities except as indicated otherwise. That means the tenant will responsible of paying a percentage of the gas, internet, garbage, and other charges. You can create a document to reflect these areas.
6. Household Rules: This part of the document must contain some basic rules to be observed by the tenant. Examples of such rules are smoking rules, pet rules, alcohol/drug use rules, and so on. Think about all possible issues and create an agreement based on that.
7. Conflict Resolution: In the interest of harmony ensure that your room rent agreement captures this part. It is good to make effort to resolve differences amicably between tenants and landlord.
1. Do not disturb the tenant by allowing them to have the full right of the room during the period of the agreement.
2. Attend to urgent repairs when needed. This goes a long way in fostering a good landlord-tenant relationship.
3. For landlords, it is important to take stock of inventory and maintain the property in good condition.