The DD Form 1172-2 requires due diligence to fill out. However, it is not difficult to fill out the forms. It is important to ensure that users understand the requirements of the 1172 form before proceeding to fill it out. The following instructions will offer some guidelines when filling the DD Form 1172-2.
1. The DD form 1172-2 is divided into six sections from I to VI.
2. Section I is the sponsor/employee information section. Enter the sponsor or employee name in block 1. Like every other form, enter the last name, first name and the middle initial or the full middle name. Enter the sponsor/ employee gender from the valid codes listed in the table in block 2. Enter social security number, status and organization in block 3,4 and 5 respectively. Other information required in this section include pay grade, citizenship, date of birth, city, place of birth, state, zip code, email address and other information on the form. These information must be entered at the appropriate blocks in the section.
3. Section II is the Sponsor/Employee declaration and remark. Enter the method of verification and also further explanation of your qualifying status. Note that you are at liberty to cite legal documentation as applicable. The qualifying status may include sponsoring agency and period of DEERS enrollment or any other comment that is appropriate such as a work assignment. The section should be completed by the sponsor/ employee signature and the entering of date.
4. Section III is the “Authorized By” section of the form. The information required in this section include the sponsoring office name, contract number, sponsoring office address, sponsoring office telephone number, office email address and overseas assignment. Other information entered in this section include overseas assignment begin and end date, eligibility effective and expiration date, sponsors official name which should include last, first and middle initials, unit organization, title, pay grade ,signature and date verified.
5. Section IV contains information of the verifying official. The verifying official’s name is entered. These include the last name, first name and middle initials. Other information entered includes site identification, telephone number and the signature.
6. Section V of the DD 1172-2 is where the dependent information is captured. The dependents name which include the last name, first name and middle name is required, gender, date of birth, relationship and the social security number of the dependent is entered on the form. Other dependent information to be ent ered includes home address, primary email address, city state, zip code, country, eligibility effective date and eligibility expiration date. It is important to note that there is more than one column for dependent information. This means that you can enter for two dependent if applicable. If that is the case, enter the second dependent on the appropriate blocks on the form.
7. Section VI involves the receipt of the card. Here, the receipt of the new card is acknowledged with an accompanying signature and date of issue.
8. At the back of the form is the agency disclosure notice, privacy act statement, disclosures and instructions. It is expected that users thoroughly go through them before completing the form.
1. It is very important to remember that the DD Form 1172-2 has replaced the DD Form 1172 rendering the later obsolete. Do not use the old form as it would not be processed.
2. It is advisable to go through the full instructions and understand them before filling out the form. There are penalty for making false statements. Be warned.
3. All sections of the form are very important. The form will not be processed if some sections are left blank. Ensure all information required to fill out the form are available before starting