The DA Form 3161 is a one page document with a well designed layout. There is actually nothing difficult in filling out the form. However, it is important for users to study and understand the procedures and instructions guiding the form in order to avoid common mistakes while filling it out. The following instructions should be as a guide while filling out the DA Form 3161.
1. The first thing to do on the receipt of this blank form is to check the appropriate box that corresponds to the use of the DA Form 3161. Remember that there are two main uses of the form which is the turn in and the issue. Having identified what the form will be used for, tick either the issue or the turn in box at the top of the form.
2. The next thing is to supply all the information surrounding the request. The information include the details of the sender and the requester, date material required, request number, voucher number, name of manufacturer, model, priority, model number, accounting/ funding data, serial number, publication and job order number.
3. Remember to identify the request number and the voucher number as they are not the same and enter them on boxes 1 and 2 respectively.
4. Boxes 3 all through 9 identifies and capture where the materials are being sent to, the date they materials are required, authorizations and priority of all the materials to be turned in or issued.
5. The largest box on the sheet is box 12. The essence of box 12 is to verify all the specific information that is obtained about the items that will be turned in or disbursed.
6. In filling out box 12, it is important to note that you must provide the information on item number, quantities, descriptions, stock number, prices codes and cost of each of the individual item captured on tour DA Form 3161.
7. A careful look at the box 12 shows a column for total which include sheet total and grand total. It is important to state here that after filling out the quantities on the box, all the numbered quantities as well as the cost must be added and the total entered in the appropriate column at the bottom of box 12.
8. It is also important to fill out other information required at the bottom of the form. This information include the issue/ turn in quantity requested accompanied with the date and the name of the requester, the issue quantity supply action column also accompanied by the date and the name of the person involved and the received quantity in supply column which is also accompanied by the date and the name of the person involved.
9. In all, it is expected that the DA Form 3161 must be signed by the authorizing party and with all other supply chain officers that are involved in the process, signing off the turn in or the issuance of the item supplies in the form.
10. This is a fairly easy process when compared to some other military forms.
1. It is advisable to ensure that a record of the DA Form 3161 is kept for the purpose of record keeping. The purpose of this is to have a back up and assure that all items involved all through the supply chain is accounted for and issued properly.
2.It is important for the customer to acknowledge the receipt of the supplies by ensuring that the “supply Action” of the form is completed, entering the date, name, signature and the rank which should be clearly written.
3. The DA Form 3161 must be completed with accurate information. Effort must be made to ensure that whatever information entered on the form is real and accurate as any discrepancy could result in credibility damage.