The Top Alternative to Flexlm License Manager
With IT departments having to manage multiple different software licenses for multiple different employees on a regular basis, they need resources like license management software to help make their jobs easier. However, it’s important that they do their research and use the right license management software for their organization’s specific needs.
One option available for license management software is Flex lm License Manager. Read on to discover how to use the program, and why it might be the right tool for your IT department.
What is Flex lm License Manager
Flex lmis a network-based license management program used by software developers to control how their software products are used. Working in the cloud, Flex lm allows software licenses to be available (or float) anywhere on a network rather than be tied to one individual or one specific machine.
Floating licenses can be of huge benefit to both system administrators and end-users equally, since it is cloud-based and makes it more efficient to share licenses on the network so you can purchase fewer. Flex lm lets administrators have complete control over who and where licenses are being used.
Benefits of using Flex lm License Manager
Flex lm License Manager has a range of features to successfully manage your software licenses:
- Cross browser and device functionality: Flex lm works seamlessly across all web browsers and devices, including iPads.
- License management: Flex lm makes it easy to manage and control where and when software licenses are being used on your network.
- Automated control: There is no need to produce a complex renewal calendar for your software license renewals. Flex lm generates reminders by email so you are reminded well in advance of the expiration date. This means there will be no software downtime because of missed renewals.
Flex lm also monitors the status of your servers, licenses and systems to give you complete security at all times.
- Location management: The usage locations and status of your licenses can be easily managed. You can also easily view if the license is online or offline from a simple list to the left of the screen.
- Active reporting: Get instant access to all the details of how your software licenses are being used. Make the right financial and operational decisions by accessing a range of reports, utilization metrics, and visual aids such as charts to keep you fully informed.
- Transfer licenses: Easily and quickly transfer licenses directly to other users, so they can benefit from software that no longer needs to be used by the previous owner. Flex lm makes this process fast and simple.
- Set up network wide licenses: Some publishers allow special licenses that can be shared across your entire local network. Flex lm makes this process simple.
- Fully connect with PO information
Instructions on How to Use Flex lm License Manager
If you feel this is the right tool for you, follow these steps to start using Flex lm License Manager:
- Check your systems: Make sure your system is compatible with Flex Im’s License Manager. Also read Flex lm’s ‘Getting Started Checklist’, which can be found online.
- Prepare your servers and systems for Flex lm License Manager.
- Go to the machine you have designated as the license server and log in.
- Download the flex.zip and unzip the contents into a new directory.
- Edit the license.dat file. You will have received an email that contains license strings or a license file. There are three sections to the license file – Server line, which should be customized to your installation, the Daemon/Vendor line, which also needs customization, and Feature which must not be edited.
- Start-up Flex lm License Manager: Now that the program is configured, you need to launch the program. The easiest way to do this is to go to the table on the lm tools menu labelled ‘Start/Stop/Reload’ and start the service.
- Verify software licenses: You can now verify the software licenses that are active on your server in Flex lm to start managing them.
- Use the Flex lm program: All the functions for managing your Flex lm software licenses mentioned above are now available to you and can be used while managing your software licenses. You’ll be able to attribute licenses to devices, manage your licenses, and generate in-depth reports about your company’s software usage. Read the online user manual to get an idea of the full scope of capabilities.
This guide is only intended as a basic overview of setting-up and using the Flex lm license manager, and should not be used as a comprehensive manual for setting up the program. Refer to official documentation for full instructions.
Why PDFelement is the Best Flex lm License Management Alternative
While Flex lm License Manager is a great option, it’s also important to note that PDFelement can be a great alternative license management tool as well.
Buy PDFelement right now!
Buy PDFelement right now!
Up to 18% OFF: Choose the right plan for you and your team.
PDFelement for Team
Give you the flexibility to provision, track and manage licensing across groups and teams.
- The Top Alternative to Cisco License Manager
- The Top Alternative to iLok License Manager
- Top 5 Open Source Inventory Management