A successful cover letter with be able to give an employer a preview of the type of employee you are likely to be if you were to work for them. Winning cover letter can properly inform companies of an individuals skills and experiences, while remaining professional and modest.
- # What does a Successful Cover Letter Do
- # A Successful Cover Letter Sample
- # How to Edit the Cover Letter Template
Successful Cover Letter Template
This is a free cover letter template for winning. Free Download and customize it according to the sample text below.
What does a Successful Cover Letter Do
In this section of our guide to writing successful cover letters, we've gathered together writing tips for you with some winning cover letter example phrases (as well as some bad examples that should be avoided when you're writing).
- A successful cover letter should not be a rewrite of your CV. Avoid listing your skills, as you would have already written in actionable points on your CV. Stick to using a few examples of your skills (3 or 4 at most) and elaborate on how they are relevant to the job you're applying for.
- Good cover letters should make you stand out from the crowd. The last thing you want to do when you're applying for a new job is blend in to the other applicants. Tell the employer about any extra qualifications or certificates you have; such as first aid at work.
- Talk about your attributes. What do you have that makes you an extraordinary applicant, in comparison to other applicants who may hold similar qualifications and have a similar employment history?
- Properly address the company. When you're writing you cover letter, avoid the phrase "To Whom It May Concern", this is the most outdated greeting you could possibly use. If you can't find a person's name to address the letter to, and you don't have time to call up and ask, use something ambiguous but respectful like "Dear Hiring Manager" or "Dear Recruiting Representative".
- Prompt action. Nearer the end of your cover letter, it would be prudent that you create a call for action to spur a decision from the manager. Something simple like "I would be happy to receive a call to discuss my application with you in the near future" is perfect but avoid demanding phrases like "I will call you in a week to follow up on my application if I haven't heard from you."
- Stick to one page or less. Successful cover letters should be brief, enticing, and as far away from long-winded as possible. If you're writing more than 500 words, something has gone wrong, and you might want to cut down lengthy phrases or paragraphs which contain too much detail.
- Format correctly. Use one format throughout your entire cover letter. This means one font, one size, one kind of spacing, no italics or bolding unless completely necessary. A good rule of thumb for cover letters is size 12 font, and a font style that is plain and easy to read – Times New Roman or Arial Black are fine. Avoid cursive or script fonts.
A Successful Cover Letter Sample
Finally, in this last section of our guide, we've written a quick cover letter for you which could be used as a potential template for your successful cover letter. You'll be able to easily spot some of the points we discussed above, while seeing a real example of how you can write a successful cover letter.
Mr. J. Brush
Dear Mr. Brush,
Re: Retail Team Leader
I am writing in response to the advertisement for the above post and am attaching my CV for your information. I am applying for this position because I feel that this opportunity with your company would be a valuable step to take. I have been working in retail for the last 2 years, and I feel my training could benefit Sleeping Ships Co. greatly.
I am a confident individual with excellent self-management skills, and the ability to motivate and encourage others. I have extensive experience in several roles that connect to customer service and retail, including high-pressure roles in seasonal work. I find it easy to integrate myself into a team dynamic, and I enjoy the work ethic that comes with working in a team.
In my last position as a Retail Team Member at Mattresses Matter, I was known for being an approachable employee who had a positive attitude towards all customers. I am highly organised, and I took in upon myself to write our weekly rota to ensure that all employees were working the days they wanted to work. I find that employees have a better insight into their work patterns than management teams, so once I pitched the idea to our supervisor, the decision for me to take over was unanimous.
I have been looking for the opportunity to further develop my employability skills, and I feel this opportunity with your company would allow me to use my training in team management and team building better than my current position would.
I am excited to discuss my application with you further, and I hope we can schedule some time to talk in the near future.
How to Edit a Successful Cover Letter Template
A successful PDF cover letter can help you get a call from the hiring manager quickly. The PDF cover letter template in this page can be your unique successful cover letter after editing it with Wondershare PDFelement - PDF Editor. This tool is an all-in-one PDF editor that can give you great experience on PDF editing, creating and converting.