Top 5 KeePassX Alternatives
KeePassX is a cross-platform application that creates a secure database for all your logins, web URLs, comments, and even attachments. It comes with an integrated password generator that's very useful for anyone who regularly needs to generate strong passwords for their online accounts. Based on the original Keepass Password Safe password manager, KeePassX soon outgrew its upstream equivalent for Windows and is considered to be a robust multi-platform solution for Mac and Linux. The database is searchable and encrypted with Twofish or AES, which makes it a very secure yet convenient repository for all your sensitive information.
That being said, not many people trust open-source software from a security perspective. That's why we've showcased the top 5 KeePassX alternatives in this article. We'll show you better options that only cost a few dollars but offer a host of features and capabilities that are missing in applications like KeePassX, including support for browser extensions and mobile devices running Android or iOS.
5 Best KeePassX Alternatives for 2022
1. 1Password - The Best KeePassX Alternative
1Password is a renowned password manager for all major desktop and mobile operating systems. This feature-rich application makes it easy to keep track of not only your passwords and other login items, but also your financial data (credit card details), personal information, notes, files, and a lot more. The most attractive aspect of this comprehensive password management software is the way the UI has been designed to be intuitive for first-time users and security professionals alike. It also includes a Watchtower feature that scours the Dark Web for possible breaches that might have compromised your online accounts. To counter any potential breaches, 1Password also alerts you of weak passwords and offers a powerful password generator so you can secure those accounts swiftly and efficiently.
Let's take a look at some of the extensive features that 1Password offers for personal, family, business, and enterprise users.
List of Features:
- Single Master Password to access all saved vaults and login items
- Multiplatform support - all major OSes for desktop and mobile
- Digital wallet to track e-commerce transactions and save credit card details
- Browser extensions for quick access to the auto-fill feature
- Special Travel Mode to keep your data safe during transit to other countries
- Full 2FA support
- Ability to restore old passwords for up to a year
- No limits on login items and passwords
- 1GB storage space to secure private documents
- Easy vault-sharing on the family plan
- User management tools
- No limit on how many devices the app can be used on
- Local storage option for all data for enhanced security
- Security Key, Master Password, and SRP for syncing form the three pillars of security
- New account signups activate password generator for secure and hard-to-crack passwor
- Watchtower actively monitors the Dark Web for breaches that might affect your logins
- 30-day free trial for you to check out all the features
- Plans span Personal to Enterprise and everything in between - highly scalable
- Comprehensive browser extension support
- Premium 24/7 support for all accounts
- Advanced encryption technologies to keep your data absolutely safe
- Account recovery for other accounts in the family plan
- User controls and permission levels for team or family management
- Most affordable password manager considering the rich feature set
- Unlimited vault-sharing on team and business accounts
- Integrated with Duo for MFA (multifactor authentication)
- Administrator controls for team and business plans
- Secure sharing option not available in the Personal plan
- Only one vault can be shared per guest user
- No free-forever plan
2. NordPass Password Manager
NordPass is a comprehensive password management solution for all major operating systems, both mobile and desktops. These apps are complemented by browser extensions for all major browsers like Chrome, Edge, Opera, and Firefox. The list of features is impressive, and the tool itself is based on strong security practices that include having a single password that isn't stored anywhere and is known only to the account holder.
List of Features:
- Master Password to access the application
- Biometric authentication supported
- Sync & backup
- 2FA support
- Import option
- Scan your credit cards with OCR are store the information securely
- Automatically saves and fills logins
- Generates strong passwords for new signups
- Optional NordLocker and NordVPN
- Tight security practices keep your data safe from hacking and phishing attempts
- Master Password is not stored anywhere, enhancing your security profile
- Easily backup your data or sync with your other devices - mobile and desktop
- OCR scanning is a unique feature and a convenient way to digitize your credit cards
- No easy way to organize your login items
- No advanced features considering its price point
3. Keeper Password Manager
Keeper is a robust cross-platform utility for both personal/family use as well as business use. The former comes with all standard features of a strong password manager, including password-filling (KeeperFill), payment and identity storage, customized fields for personal information, secure storage of files like media and documents, and so on. The business and enterprise editions offer extended features like security audits to spot weak points in your security profile and the ability to sync with LDAP and Active Directory for better user access control.
List of Features:
- Vault-based password security
- Face ID and Fingerprint ID support for iOS and Android
- No limit on the number of devices your data can be synced with
- Web app available
- Share login items securely
- Emergency access can be specified in advance
- KeeperChat for more secure chat and messaging
- Special chat app
- BreachWatch to monitor and report passwords that might be compromised
- Unlimited passwords, payment details, and identities
- Password inheritance feature
- No file storage on the basic personal plan
- Need to upgrade for advanced features like BreachWatch and KeeperChat
4. Zoho Vault Password Manager
Zoho Vault is your basic online password manager that saves logins and auto-fills them when needed. Although it is limited to iOS devices as a standalone app, the Chrome extension can be used on any device as long as it has Google Chrome loaded and the user is signed into a Google account. It also comes with a strong password generator that helps enhance your online security profile over time.
List of Features:
- Store, organize and share passwords with team members
- Control access privileges for each user
- Users can join with a simple ‘handshake' with the admin
- One-click automatic login for apps and sites
- Granular ownership of passwords in a role-based environment
- Data backups
- Secure importing and exporting of passwords
- One-click login is convenient
- Easy audit trail and activity tracking
- Integrated with Zoho Helpdesk
- No advanced features - basic password management only
- Might be a little complicated for first-time or inexperienced users
Although BitWarden is also an open-source utility like KeePassX, it offers a high degree of security and includes nearly all the features of a premium password manager like 1Password. In addition, there's a paid plan for organizations that prefer deploying open-source tools over proprietary software. The main reason is that open-source apps can be customized in different ways. Here's what you can expect with BitWarden.
List of Features:
- Cloud-based password and login sync across multiple devices and platforms
- Store passwords, credentials, cards, notes, personal information, etc.
- Supports 2FA
- Built-in password generator
- Completely free plan available
- No limits on the number of vault items
- Comprehensive cross-platform support
- Difficult to do self-hosting if you don't have prior experience
- No file storage option in the free version
How to Use KeePassX Password Manager
KeePassX password manager is essentially an evolved version of Keepass, which is a Windows-based utility. KeePassX is cross-platform and offers a host of features that you'd normally only find in a premium password management tool. Ideally, it's good if you have some experience with open-source tools or it may be hard to get KeePassX set up and running on all your devices. The auto-fill feature is still in the testing phase so it might not work the way you want it to all the time. Nevertheless, since it's a free tool and works across all major OS platforms, it's worth giving it a try. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of KeePassX:
- Free to use
- Secure storage of password database - you can use a key file or a master password to access the database
- Convenient grouping with options to name each entry so you can quickly search and find it whenever you need
- Easy to clone entries
- Twofish or AES used to protect your database
- The password generator is highly customizable
- No password auto-capture feature - manual entry or import only
- Potentially unsafe because of a lack of active developer support and regular security patches, etc.
- No plugins for browsers
Using KeePassX on Mac and Ubuntu
Follow these steps to use KeePassX Mac or KeePassX Ubuntu:
- Step 1: Once you have KeePassX installed on your Mac or Linux computer, go to File → New Database.
- Step 2: Enter the Master Password for that database. Alternatively, you can use a key file off a USB stick. If you don't have one, you can generate it on this page.
- Step 3: After hitting OK, go to Entry → New Entry and enter the credentials you want to save. You can also choose which group it belongs to. The password generator is accessible from this page and it is highly recommended that you use it.
- Step 4: Once you've set the parameters for the entry, click OK to confirm. Your entry is now saved in the secure database, where it can be accessed with a simple copy command or using the Copy icon in the toolbar.
The app is quite easy to use once you get the hang of it but the customization part will take a little longer. If you don't want the hassle of doing all that, you can consider an affordable premium tool like 1Password where the interface is specifically designed for ease-of-use. In addition, 1Password offers a whole range of features that we discussed earlier, which means you won't need any other tool to manage your Internet security and private information ever again.
Buy PDFelement right now!
Buy PDFelement right now!
- Top 5 Password Safe Mac Alternatives
- Top 5 Software for Password Storage
- How to Embed Video in PDF
- Top 5 Zoho Vault Password Manager Alternatives
- Top 5 KeePass Linux Alternatives